Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Scan (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer Rickles , 10 October 2016 - 01:13 AM

Hi phillpower2, Good news at last! Screen print attached. Bit of a marathon run on this one and many, many thanks for staying with me. I do like also Freebooter's comment '... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello Rickles,

So I assume I have this disc in the player before I start Automatic Repair?

Correct.

We will need the brand and model name or number of the computer as not all brands use the same keys to access the BIOS and most modern computers now have UEFI BIOS which is different again.

Advertisements

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Hi phillpower2,

That is an easy one as the information is on the side of the tower. If you need more let me know?

Aspire HDMI TC-605

Intel Core i5 processor 4440 @ 3.10GHz  

64-bit Operating System, x64 based processor

NVIDIA Geforce GT625

iTB Hard Drive

8GB DDR3 Memory

Product I.D. 00326-10000-00000-AA039

Integrated Lan 10/100/1000

Wireless Lan/Bluetooth

Regards

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello Rickles,

Press Del or F2 immediately after powering on the computer, once in the BIOS look for the boot order which if not under a tab on its own could be under an Advanced options tab, change the boot sequence to DVD drive first and the HDD second.

Just noticed on the Acer site here that your computer is supported by Acer for upgrading to Windows 10 but not the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Hi phillpower2,

As I always do backups and updates on a Monday morning, my time, I thought it a good time and I started to follow your instructions.

Ran into a problem here.

I tried to get the computer into the BIOS but no go.

I tried the:

F2 button.

Delete button.

I tried the Delete button just after starting up and a message appears to press the Delete button.

All no go.

As a last resort I typed in BIOS to the Search and it came up with this, see attached.

I have touched nothing or done anything that was not on your list.

Regards

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello Rickles,

Try continually pressing the Del key up until the point that the Acer logo appears on the screen, this would be easier with a wired PS/2 type keyboard but correct if I am wrong your computer only has USB type ports for the mouse and keyboard does it not.

The Windows screenshot has nothing to do with the computers BIOS settings only how you can change the behaviour of the Windows start up from there, you could however try an Automatic repair from there with your disk in the drive, if you do try this, it is important that if you are asked for a password but you have never set one up you must leave the password field blank.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Hi phillpower2,

What I can do is to plug in a keyboard via USB port.

I use the wireless one as it is handier for my kind of work.

I am not touching anything unless you say so.

Regards

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello Rickles,

When you were looking in the Recovery options did you happen to notice something called UEFI Firmware Settings, if you never can you please check for it, computers that shipped with Windows 8 onward pre-installed have UEFI as opposed to legacy BIOS and some access keys are different.

Just as an outside chance that it may work, try holding down the F12 key when you next restart the computer, if no joy;

You could try your USB keyboard in one of the USB ports on the rear of the case (try them all if one does not work as sometimes only one is enabled by default in the BIOS) but I suspect that your wireless keyboard has a USB receiver already plugged in and that your USB keyboard may also not be able to get you into the BIOS, fingers crossed here though.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Hi phillpower2,

I will check for UEFI Firmware Settings next time I reboot.

Good news is that I plugged in a keyboard to USB and it will get me into Bios.

Under Advanced tab I saw this:

Boot Priority Order

1st. Boot Device  [ Removable Device}

2nd. Boot Device [P1: MATSHITADVD-ROM...]

3rd.  Boot Device  [Windows Boot Manager]

4th.  Boot Device  [LAN]

> Hard Disc Drive Priority [Press Enter]

> Optical Disc Drive Priority [Press Enter]

> Removable Device Priority [Press Enter]

>network Device Priority [Press Enter]

All brackets etc are as shown on the BIOS screen

I have touched nothing except for ESC:Exit to get out of the BIOS

Regards

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello Rickles,

Well done, no need to worry about the UEFI settings now   :thumbsup:

Please change the boot priority so that the MATSHITADVD-ROM is first in the boot priority and the HDD second, save the new settings and exit, with the DVD disk in the drive, restart the computer and then follow the steps below;

a) After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with grey text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.

b) Select the correct time and Keyboard type.

c) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.

d) Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.

e) Click advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.

f) Select Automatic repair.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Hi phillpower2,

We are slowly progressing.

I  changed the boot priority so that the MATSHITADVD-ROM is first in the boot priority and the HDD second, saved the new settings and exit.

The computer still starts up the same.

I then followed the list from A to E

But in f) I ran into a problem or I am too thick to understand.

In Advanced Options in trouble shoot screen I have the following options:

System Restore

System Image Recover

Start Up Repair

Command Prompt

Go Back To Previous Build.

Again I did not select any of the above and quit.

Regards

Edited by Rickles, 24 August 2016 - 11:41 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello Rickles,

Of that list, with the Windows 10 disk in the DVD drive select the Start Up Repair option, if no joy please refer to the below;

I  changed the boot priority so that the MATSHITADVD-ROM is first in the boot priority and the HDD second, saved the new settings and exit.
The computer still starts up the same.

Couple of questions, was this with the Windows 10 media in the DVD drive and did the DVD drive spin up as it does when an optical drive does when it is reading data from a disk.

Please check that the boot sequence in the BIOS is still the DVD drive first and the HDD second.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Hi phillpower2,

Was this with the Windows 10 media in the DVD drive.............No

The DVD drive spin up as it does when an optical drive does when it is reading data from a disk....When I put the disc in before rebooting, the computer rebooted and the Disc made its usual noises as it does when it spins up.

Please check that the boot sequence in the BIOS is still the DVD drive first and the HDD second....No it is back to how it was before I changed it.

Regards

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello Rickles,

As per my reply #39;

Please change the boot priority so that the MATSHITADVD-ROM is first in the boot priority and the HDD second, save the new settings and exit, with the DVD disk in the drive, restart the computer and then follow the steps below;

a) After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with grey text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.

b) Select the correct time and Keyboard type.

c) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.

d) Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.

e) Click advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.

f) Select Automatic repair.

Depending on the build number of the present Windows 10 installation the a to f options above may vary and you may be offered a start up as opposed to an automatic repair.

The boot sequence reverting suggests one of two things, the BIOS chip did not store the settings for some reason or that the new settings were not saved correctly, the former can be caused by an expired CMOS battery, the latter is commonly F9 to save and then F10 to confirm the acceptance of the new settings, is that what you did.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Hi phillpower2,

I have tried a few times now but cannot get the MATSHITADVD-ROM as first in the boot priority and the HDD second.

I tried the F9 then F10 but as soon as I touched F9 it stated that this was Load Default Settings.

I am sorry that this is dragging on but the inner workings of a computer is another alien world to me.

Regards

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello Rickles,

No problem, you will note that I said "the latter is commonly F9 to save and then F10 to confirm the acceptance of the new settings" not all BIOS is the same and if you look at the BIOS screen it should tell you how to save and exit, F9 as we now know restores the defaults which puts the HDD first and not the DVD drive.

No need to be sorry btw, we are here to help where we can  :thumbsup: