Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WD Passport Issue

• Please log in to reply

Nykoosa

Nykoosa

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a WD Passport, I think it got corrupted somehow. I can see the passport on my computer, I can open up the F drive, but when I open it, it says "This folder is empty". If I right click on the F drive and click properties, it shows there is 215 GB of USED space, so clearly my files are somewhere there.
How can I fix this issue? Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks!!

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

What version of Windows do you have?

Nykoosa

Nykoosa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
How can I check? But I don't think it matters... This problem started over a year ago and I was using an older version of Windows, now I'm on my tablet with a new version. I've tried the passport on various computers, hoping for success, but always the same... Folder says empty, but shows almost full storage.

Nykoosa

Nykoosa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Found it... Windows 10

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

Try telling windows to let you see hidden files:

http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

IF that doesn't work try looking from the command prompt:

First open an elevated command Prompt:

http://www.howtogeek...-in-windows-10/

Type the drive letter followed by a colon and then hit Enter.  (Example.  If the WD Passport is e then type:  e:

Now type:

dir  /a

and hit Enter. (I use two spaces to make sure you see where one space goes)  Does it see anything?  IF so type:

attrib  -h  -s  *.*  /s

and hit Enter.

If it doesn't see anything you try a disk check and see if that helps.  From the elevated command prompt type:

chkdsk  /r  e:

and Enter. (Change to a different letter if not e drive.)

We can also check the S.M.A.R.T data on the drive and see if it's healthy.  Easiest way is speccy:

Get the free version of Speccy:

http://www.filehippo...download_speccy (Look in the upper right for the Download
Latest Version button  - Do NOT press the large Start Download button on the upper left!)  
Download, Save and Install it.  Tell it you do not need CCLEANER.    Run Speccy.  When it finishes (the little icon in the bottom left will stop moving), 
File, Save as Text File,  (to your desktop) note the name it gives. OK.  Open the file in notepad and delete the line that gives the serial number of your Operating System.  
(It will be near the top about 10 lines down.) Save the file.  Attach the file to your next post.  (More Reply Options, Choose File, Open, Attach This File)