Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lag in all games i play

• Please log in to reply

DoodleDood

DoodleDood

• Pip
  • 7 posts

So its been like this for like a year now (i've had the laptop for like 2 years) and no matter what game i play i always end up with low fps, like i can even play games like terraria or csgo on lowest quality and still wont get 60 fps and my computers temp is like 89-92 on all cores + package so what can i do to stop this? http://www.dell.com/...R7SYY1/diagnoseis the laptop i have which have good enough components to play all of the games i lag in. So wondering if someone might know the cause to my lag, even when i restart my laptop and have like 70C temperature i still lag and i have an extra fan blowing on it from the behind. Thanks

Edited by DoodleDood, 02 August 2016 - 08:46 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   DoodleDood,

Are you using the notebook on a flat, firm and even surface so that the internal hot air can be expelled from the exhaust vents and cool, clean air drawn in by the internal cooling fan/s.

i can even play games like terraria or csgo on lowest quality and still wont get 60 fps 

Is the problem with all games or only with Steam games.

my computers temp is like 89-92 on all cores 

That is way too hot and possibly means that the computer could do with a clean out, see example cleaning guide here

DoodleDood

DoodleDood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I cleaned it out and now the temps are at about 60-70c while playing and watching a video at the same time, the fps has been improved massively but i still lag in games like: H1z1, Ark survival evolved, and Assassins creed black flag. But i can now play wow at 60 fps while watching a twitch stream on my other montiro thx for suggestion. Do you think that it being so hot may have permanently damaged something which makes these games still lag? I know they require good specs but i should atleast have 60 fps while playing h1z1 right?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Please answer the questions asked in my reply #2.

Do you think that it being so hot may have permanently damaged something which makes these games still lag?

It is entirely possible but too soon soon to be sure of this.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you DoodleDood, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

DoodleDood

DoodleDood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I cleaned it out and now the temps are at about 50-60c while playing and watching a video at the same time, the fps has been improved massively but i still lag in games like: H1z1, Ark survival evolved, and Assassins creed black flag. But i can now play wow at 60 fps while watching a twitch stream on my other montiro thx for suggestion. Do you think that it being so hot may have permanently damaged something which makes these games still lag? I know they require good specs but i should atleast have 60 fps while playing h1z1 right?

So yes i still need help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

As per my replies  #2 and #4;

Are you using the notebook on a flat, firm and even surface so that the internal hot air can be expelled from the exhaust vents and cool, clean air drawn in by the internal cooling fan/s.

i can even play games like terraria or csgo on lowest quality and still wont get 60 fps 

Is the problem with all games or only with Steam games.

That is way too hot and possibly means that the computer could do with a clean out, see example cleaning guide here

Please answer the questions asked in my reply #2.

Do you think that it being so hot may have permanently damaged something which makes these games still lag?

It is entirely possible but too soon soon to be sure of this.

DoodleDood

DoodleDood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Are you using the notebook on a flat, firm and even surface so that the internal hot air can be expelled from the exhaust vents and cool, clean air drawn in by the internal cooling fan/s. I am using it on a flat desk.

Is the problem with all games or only with Steam games. It is with all games.

That is way too hot and possibly means that the computer could do with a clean out, see example cleaning guide here. I have cleaned it out now and get 70c if im playing 2 games at once.

DoodleDood

DoodleDood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Also since i updated to the latest version of nvidia drivers it seems like when I play Rocket League or World of Warcraft which i have 60 fps in it looks like I don't have 60 fps. I know i have 60 fps since i can see the fps number on the screen but it just feels like its lower then 60 fps. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Air flow should be good then.

Asked about Steam to see if it could be related to internet speed but as the problem is with all games it points to the problem being elsewhere.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

I know i have 60 fps since i can see the fps number on the screen but it just feels like its lower then 60 fps. 

Not a regular gamer myself so never checked on FPS but colleague iammykyl has recommended Fraps (free) to members in the past, have you tried it, if not take a look here

DoodleDood

DoodleDood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...ZdRJ0Sj5I56JTk5i think i did it right. sorry for slow reply i have been busy.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are using Panda AV, is this the same AV that you were using before you upgraded to Windows 10.

Your hardware looks all good with reducing the size of the virtual memory about the only thing that I would change.

Only things of note in Speccy are that Windows is out of date, you have torrent related software installed (iOSinstallerUpdater) which is associated with Popcorn Time (bad) and is rated as Not Trusted by EMISOFT here you also have ioloEnergyBooster installed which at best is a gimmick and at worst a danger to your OS, none of this software will be helping your cause.

Due to the torrent related content I feel it wise to refer you to the GTG malware redirection information below;

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

DoodleDood

DoodleDood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Yes I used panda av before i got windows 10. and im positive that popcorn time is not a virus as it works the way it should do. i will check out the link you posted, thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Not a regular gamer myself so never checked on FPS but colleague iammykyl has recommended Fraps (free) to members in the past, have you tried it, if not take a look here

Did you take a look at fraps to see if you got the same FPS reported as when previously playing Rocket League and WoW.

For testing purposes you could try uninstalling Panda and using Windows Defender to protect your computer, if no change, you have at least ruled one possible cause out, if a paid for product make a note of your licence key before uninstalling for possible re-use later. 

Never said that Popcorn Time was a virus only that it was associated with torrents that are known to spread malware, the opening paragraph at the link pretty much says it all;

Popcorn Time aggregates the world’s supply of movies and television shows into a beautifully organized and searchable display. It relies on peer-to-peer distribution using BitTorrent. Unfortunately for all concerned, the supply it taps into comprises almost entirely pirated content.

The above is why I suggested that you should check for malware, you have a very good spec computer, the lag is with all games and not just those that you play online so something else is preventing you from getting the performance that you would expect.

You are welcome btw  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you DoodleDood, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.