Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Machine Check Exception Windows 10 cause?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

TMayfi

TMayfi

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Hello and thank you for your assistance!

I recently purchased an HP Spectre x360. When I received it, I was prompted to upgrade to Windows 10. Approximately 1 month later, I am having issues with it stalling, then immediately rebooting, saying Machine_Check_Exception. Is this a windows issue? Malware? I've seen both in tech forums when I've searched online for an answer.

If anyone can please help me figure this out, I would be very grateful!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello TMayfi,

The sad fact is that Windows 10 upgrades do not appear to go down too well with brand name computers such as Dell and HP etc and many users have needed to resort to a clean install of Windows 10 in order to correct the issue, hopefully you will not have to do so.

Download then run the Windows All in One Repair (free)  from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Are there any .dmp files in C:\Windows\minidump?

If yes, zip them into a single zip file and upload here so I can look at them. If there are a lot, zip up just the last 5.

TMayfi

TMayfi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Hello again!

I did as phillpower suggested and that lasted about a day. I've had several restarts in the last few hours.  I have tried selecting the .dmp files that ztrucker requested, but when I select them, I get an alert that says "File, not found, or no read permission", no matter how few files I select. There are 12 files in the list.

:(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.

2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.

3. Upload the zip folder using the More Reply Options tab then the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

TMayfi

TMayfi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

The .dmp files by request.

Thanks!

Attached Files

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Sorry it's been so long since I got back here.

Latest dump shows

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION (9c)
A fatal Machine Check Exception has occurred.

Similar problem here: http://www.sevenforu...not-rec-9c.html

resolved by testing PC memory then removing/replacing a defective DIMM.

===================================================
RAM:

Follow this tutorial: MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

MemTest86+ is a diagnostic tool designed to test Random Access Memory (RAM) for faults. MemTest86+ will verify that:

• RAM will accept and keep random patterns of data sent to it
  • There are no errors when different parts of memory try to interact
  • There are no conflicts between memory addresses

Memtest86+ runs from bootable media to isolate the RAM from the system, no other components are taken into account during the test.

MemTest86+ needs to run for at least 8 passes to be anywhere near conclusive, anything less will not give a complete analysis of the RAM.

If you are asked to run MemTest86+ please make sure you run the full 8 passes for conclusive results. If you run less than 8 passes you will be asked to run it again.

MemTest86+ has been known to discover errors in RAM in later passes than the eighth pass. This is for information only; if you feel there is a definite problem with the RAM and 8 passes have shown no errors feel free to continue for longer.

Running 8 passes of MemTest86+ is a long and drawn out exercise and the more RAM you have the longer it will take. It's recommended to run MemTest86+ just before you go to bed and leave it overnight.