Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Abrupt Shutdown

cpu psu mb shutdown

• Please log in to reply

TheShowstopper

TheShowstopper

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello there.This is my first post here.I am from India and i need advice regarding some hardware problem.

First my PC Specs

AMD FX 4300 CPU

Seasonic S12II Bronze 520W PSU

Motherboard: MSI 760GM-P23 (FX)

Ram: 4 GB Corsair 2 GB EVM

HDD: WD Cavier Green

GPU: Sapphire R9 280x

When i got this rig for a year i didnt change my fan speed in bios.They were very noisy running at 100%.At over 6000RPM my CPU Temp was at  rediculous 120 low.After a year i came to my senses and changed it.So i set it down at 15% minimum speed.The cpu fan is somewhat wheatherd.

Now coming to the actual problem.In india we have electricity blackout problem.I lived in an area were no blackouts happened and then shifted to an area where it happened frequently and now i live in an area where frequency is medium.But definitely once in a day it happens, though for a very short period.15 min-20 min.I dont use UPS.I brought an ineffective one which is a very seperate story but i dont use it.

[(When lights go out my pc shut down) obviously]

So, after elecricity comes back up after blackout and when i start my PC my PC goes through three phases.

A.It starts up then after 0-5 minutes it shutsdown.

B.Then when i hit power button usually it starts and shuts down within 0-5 seconds.This can happen twice.

C.Then i hit power button.It starts, you can play games for hours, do about anything and it wont shut down.A proper restart is also very responsive.This i let happen 20 times or more because i am in middle of an exam and i cant send parts for RMA.Also RMA would take probably a full month or at least 15 days where i am from.

Observation made:

CPU fan doesn't spin many times during phase one.

I update minimum fan speed to 20% which is a bit noisy but all temps are fine as measured by HWMonitor..

Mothrobard at 40, CPU 27,HDD 36(fan disabled), GPU 43, CPU fan 3700RPM, GPU FAN 1390

All advices are welcome.Thank you for reading.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:   TheShowstopper,

First and foremost I suggest that you invest in a decent UPS, with the exception of the HDD the sudden shut downs will not particularly affect most of your other hardware but it will eventually lead to Windows becoming corrupted resulting in a non bootable machine, the present behaviour could be due to Windows regularly not being shut down correctly or the HDD becoming fragmented or failing.

Test the HDD with CrystalDiskInfo 7.0.0 Standard Edition which you can download from here once done grab a screenshot (possibly two) of the results and attach to your next reply for us.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not heard back from you TheShowstopper, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

TheShowstopper

TheShowstopper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

i am sorry.I had exams but I would look into harddrive.Meanwhile i have made clear observation that fan doesnt spin after starting pc after the abrupt shutdown.If you touch it or spin it manually with your fingers it kicks in and starts spinning and no shutdown.Do you still think that it has got something to do with harddrive.In CD it says 33 temp and Good .I will post screenshot after testing

Edited by TheShowstopper, 08 August 2016 - 01:28 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

That cooling fan behaviour is not good, a cooling fan needs to start up on boot as a processor or graphics chip gets that hot instantly that it would burn you in a nano second.

Do you still think that it has got something to do with harddrive.

Never said for sure that it was HDD related only offering an explanation as to what could be affected by frequent, sudden power loss, you could most likely turn a blank HDD off and on without it having any affect but do it to a HDD that has data on it and the data can become jumbled and unreadable, fragmented is the correct term.

Apart from the CrystalDisk info screenshot I would ask that you upload screenshots of both HWMonitor and Speedfan, details below, please be sure to only use the steps suggested for taking and attaching the screenshots;

Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

TheShowstopper

TheShowstopper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I will do all of the aforementioned things and post it shortly.SOrry for delayed replys

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No worries and thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not heard back from you TheShowstopper, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.