Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with computer after downgrading from a Windows 10 upgrade

- - - - - tech preview

• Please log in to reply

betsym

betsym

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10 but it wouldn't work right so after a couple of days, I reinstalled windows 7 and had even more problems! No internet connection, but my tablet and smart phone can connect, network adapter problems on Local Area Connection and Local Area Connection 2, even though device manager said both devices were working properly. I did get a diagnostic that a network cable was unplugged on the Local Area Connection 2 device but I double-checked ALL of the cables and NONE were unplugged. I'm writing this from my tablet. Also. My monitor is faded out, like the brightness level is set way too high but I suspect that the Nividia graphics card has issues, as well, with a driver or something but I camt upgrade any if the drivers with no internet connection. Can somebody please help me?

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Do you have access to another computer to download files? and a flash drive to transfer the files between the computers?

Can you post the brand and model of the computer, if its custom build post the motherboard brand and model.

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Yes, I have a tablet and a smart phone. My computer IS A custom-built one, 4 1/2 years old. The motherboard is a ASUS P8 H 67-M LE series. I do have a micro-USB flash drive and SD memory cards of various sizes.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Can you download download the Chipset drivers and install them on the machine?

http://dlcdnet.asus....021_Windows.zip

and also the Network driver http://dlcdnet.asus....202009_WIN7.zip

You must install in order first the Chipset then the Network

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
OK. I will report back tomorrow

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Well, I made the mistake of letting somebody look at my computer and he said that he checked the drivers and that my whole registry was corrupted so he wiped my hard drive and reinstalled windows 7 BUT that didn't work right either. I couldn't open a lot of my folders. I had backed up my whole computer before upgrading to Windows 10 and I put everything back on but I kept getting an "access denied" error message when trying to open my iTunes or a lot of other things. Besides that, not only did wiping the hard drive and reinstalling Windows not fix my monitor, which had started fading out after my rollback to Windows 7, my monitor went out completely last night. Before that, I had gone into my security settings and made sure the permissions were set right to allow me access to things on my computer but none of that worked. The computer man ordered a video card for my computer, which should be in within another day or two, so nothing can be done until the monitor is fixed. When the man transferred my files back onto my computer after wiping it, he didn't do whatever it is he should've done to make sure I had access. I still have my doubts that he will fix it like it should be. I just want to get it functional so I can work, since I use it to make a living, and I intend to buy a new one within the next 2-3 months. Can you tell me what I need to do to fix the access problem? I will need to know this also when transferring my backed-up files onto my new computer. I plan on doing that myself. Could you maybe help by remote accessing my computer after the monitor is back up? If a new video card doesn't fix it, I guess I will have to go ahead and buy a new monitor, an inexpensive one just to get by with until getting the new one. What do I need to do to be able to access EVERYTHING on my computer? How do I need to set the access controls and permissions, and user rights and privileges correctly so that there are no conflicts? I know that all new computers come with Windows 10 installed on them but supposedly, from what I've read, those computers don't have the same issues as older computers that have been upgraded. I plan to buy a top-of-the-line gaming computer because I love computer games and play a lot of games, in addition to using the computer for work. I want a 34" 4k or 5k monitor, with 3D capabilities, if I can find one. I know I've seen an advertisement for one 5k monitor. Could you give me a list of specs that would make my new computer a GREAT gaming computer? I appreciate all your help. If I had known that the computer man wasn't going to just correct the driver issues, and was going to wipe my whole hard drive, I wouldn't have let him do it. I haven't had to take any computer I've had into the shop one time since signing up at the geeks-to-go website and forums. You guys are wonderful!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Thank You for the update.

Do you have the computer with you? or is on the repair shop?

The motherboard includes an internal Graphic card, if you remove the add-on graphic card the machine can be used normally only skip very demanding graphic applications like games. Its a good way to confirm if there is any problem with your monitor or not.

Sometimes when transferring files that problem with permissions can happen but its usually easy to fix by using for example this tip

http://www.tenforums...ndows-10-a.html

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
But I don't have Windows 10! I downgraded back to Windows 7. I have the computer here with me. When the man comes tomorrow to put in the video card, I will have him do what I suggested to check and see if it's the monitor. I need the permissions information for windows 7, for the other problem, though.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

But I don't have Windows 10! I downgraded back to Windows 7. I have the computer here with me. When the man comes tomorrow to put in the video card, I will have him do what I suggested to check and see if it's the monitor. I need the permissions information for windows 7, for the other problem, though.

Sorry I missed the part that you have Windows 7 now. The tutorial to add the Take Ownership option on Windows 7 is here.

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
The computer man hooked another monitor up to it and it worked so it wasn't the video card. I asked him if he could fix the permissions. He sat there a minute and then said the mouse wouldn't move right so I must have a virus. I put the AVG free edition on there, plus the pro versions of SuperAntiSpyware and Malware Bytes, which I had the installation disks for. He said that SuperAntiSpyware was nothing but Malware and that the AVG free edition wouldn't protect my computer! He said I needed to scan the external hard drive I backed my computer up onto. There was NOTHING wrong with my computer before I upgraded to Windows 10 and then downgraded back to Windows 7 and I backed my computer up BEFORE upgrading to Windows 10. HE wiped my hard drive and when he brought it back, there was something called "Magic Tune" on there and Internet Explorer had some start screen with "Splash" search or something. I think it's more likely that THAT was Malware. I am in tears. My boyfriend is bringing his 32" TV monitor go hook up to the computer to see if it works. After that, can you tell me how to see if I really have a virus? He said that I would have to get the paid version of AVG in order to be protected and to get the virus off and I don't have a problem with that. It has the trial version of the AVG PC Tune Up on it right now, which is supposed be as fully protective and functioning as any paid versions until the trial is over! I will report back the minute I have the monitor hooked up!

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

When you have the computer working again you should start a new thread on the Malware Removal section of the forum to get specific help on Malware removing.

Before you post please read Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide starting from Step 2.

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I'm on my way uptown right now to get a new monitor. I don't believe I have any virus. MY mouse was working just fine. I could get on the internet. My ONLY problem, besides the monitor, was acessing my folders and stuff. I assume I will STILL have that problem when I get the monitor hooked up. Certainly my AVG PC Tune-up should be able to tackle any virus, shouldn't it? I use my computer to try and make a living. I live on a VERY LIMITED income since my husband died 17 months ago. Fortunately, I do have a college degree and can use it to work from home some since I have several protruding discs in my neck and back and several pinched nerves that limit me doing much else.The week or so I've been without my computer has cost me quite a bit . When I get the monitor hooked up, I will purchase the PRO version of AVG PC Tune-up and Internet Security or, maybe even purchase some anti-virus software while purchasing the monitor. If there's no virus, I will still need to get the permissions straightened out so I will follow your instructions for doing that and will post back the results . If there IS a virus, I will post in the Malware removal forum. Is there a way to scan my external hard drive for viruses? Would I right- click on it in My Computer and then click on scan ?

Edited by betsym, 09 August 2016 - 05:20 AM.

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Do you want me to do what it says from step 2 in the Malware Removal article if I have a virus or does that check for viruses?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Do you want me to do what it says from step 2 in the Malware Removal article if I have a virus or does that check for viruses?

Execute the step 2 and post the result in a new topic that you should start on the Malware Removal section.

The log will be checked for malware and an helper will guide you on the cleaning process.

betsym

betsym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I'm back with the monitor and plugged it up, both the power cord and the cord going from the back of the monitor to the computer but it won't come on. I can't install the driver disc that came with it if I can't get it to come on. Help! I will leave the tablet on and wait for your reply.