Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba laptop no sound (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 04 August 2016 - 01:45 PM

How can the connection to the MB ( Mother Board?) suddenly go bad?  Everyday use when opening and closing a notebook lid or opening the top cover too wide can partially disconnect the spe... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

capslock

capslock

• Pip
  • 5 posts

C55D - A5120 with a windows 10 upgrade.

My freind installed W10 a couple of years ago and everything has been running fine. A few weeks ago I was watching a youtube video and sound muted and has basically been off since.

One weird thing has been happening on some video sites. There is slight faint sound coming out at the beginning but it usually stops and goes mute.

I have uninstalled the realtek driver and reinstalled this driver from the Toshiba website.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   capslock,

It could be the internal speakers that are bad, have you checked the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red X against the audio device.

Couple of other questions if I may;

Have you tried playing a DVD or music CD but still got no sound.

Does your notebook have speaker ports to which you can connect external speakers.

Do you have or do you know anyone that has a HDMI screen that you could try connecting the notebook to.

Tip

To ensure and so that I can see that you will receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

capslock

capslock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

:welcome:   capslock,

It could be the internal speakers that are bad, have you checked the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red X against the audio device.

Couple of other questions if I may;

Have you tried playing a DVD or music CD but still got no sound.

Does your notebook have speaker ports to which you can connect external speakers.

Do you have or do you know anyone that has a HDMI screen that you could try connecting the notebook to.

Tip

To ensure and so that I can see that you will receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

Hi and thanks for responding. Sorry it took so long to get back.

1 No red or yellow X by audio.

2 The audio cd plays very faint for about 10 seconds at the beginning and then mutes for good.

3 No speaker jacks that I can see.

4 No HDMI screen.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No worries as been kind of busy myself  :(

2 The audio cd plays very faint for about 10 seconds at the beginning and then mutes for good.

Info from your OP + the above suggests that this is speaker related, either the speakers themselves are bad or the connection to the MB is bad/ not connected properly.

Just watched a video of the same model of notebook as yours being unboxed and noted that there are no speaker ports, there is a headphone port so if possible try a set of headphones to see if you get sound through them,if you do, it again points towards either the speakers themselves being bad or the connection to the MB is bad/ not connected properly, this because the issue is present when using both the optical drive and youtube video, each are different sources of audio but both rely on the same speaker system for external sound to be heard.

4 No HDMI screen.

Acknowledged, pity as it would have helped with the trouble shooting, any family or friends that you could ask if necessary.

capslock

capslock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

No worries as been kind of busy myself  :(

Info from your OP + the above suggests that this is speaker related, either the speakers themselves are bad or the connection to the MB is bad/ not connected properly.

Just watched a video of the same model of notebook as yours being unboxed and noted that there are no speaker ports, there is a headphone port so if possible try a set of headphones to see if you get sound through them,if you do, it again points towards either the speakers themselves being bad or the connection to the MB is bad/ not connected properly, this because the issue is present when using both the optical drive and youtube video, each are different sources of audio but both rely on the same speaker system for sound to be heard.

4 No HDMI screen.

Acknowledged, pity as it would have helped with the trouble shooting, any family or friends that you could ask if necessary.

How can the connection to the MB ( Mother Board?) suddenly go bad?

I found some head phones and the sound is perfect coming out of that jack.

Under Sounds, there is one item with a red arrow under it. Its the AMD definition audio device under Digital display audio. Isnt that to add a monitor?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
✓  Best Answer

Everyday use when opening and closing a notebook lid or opening the top cover too wide can partially disconnect the speaker connection, the connector may not have been connected properly at the factory and been destined to cause you problems at some point.

Confirms that the issue is speaker related.

Under Sounds, there is one item with a red arrow under it. Its the AMD definition audio device under Digital display audio. Isnt that to add a monitor?

That is for your HDMI port and is not causing the speaker/audio problems, if it was you would not have got any sound from your headphones.

capslock

capslock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Everyday use when opening and closing a notebook lid or opening the top cover too wide can partially disconnect the speaker connection, the connector may not have been connected properly at the factory and been destined to cause you problems at some point.

Confirms that the issue is speaker related.

That is for your HDMI port and is not causing the speaker/audio problems, if it was you would not have got any sound from your headphones.

Unless it is an easy fix it sounds like it would cost less to buy a new laptop for $200 than have this repaired.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Unless it is an easy fix it sounds like it would cost less to buy a new laptop for $200 than have this repaired.

It would involve partially dismantling the notebook to investigate the problem and then possibly replacing the internal speakers, not sure what it would cost in US $ but would certainly not pay more than $80 for initial investigation and speaker replacement if needed.

Less expensive option would be USB speakers

capslock

capslock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

It would involve partially dismantling the notebook to investigate the problem and then possibly replacing the internal speakers, not sure what it would cost in US $ but would certainly not pay more than $80 for initial investigation and speaker replacement if needed.

Less expensive option would be USB speakers

Thanks for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You are most welcome  :)