Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MFT Corrupted File Record

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Leesie

Leesie

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me. The other day I had this pop up in event viewer: 

The Master File Table (MFT) contains a corrupted file record. The file reference number is 0x1000000118b2b. The name of the file is "\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE".

Since then I've run chkdsk fix and repair and scanned the disk with seatools, chkdsk repaired a couple things and seatools says the disk is healthy, but not sure what else to do or how to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

Lisa

Advertisements

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Have you rebooted the system since the message appeared?

Leesie

Leesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Yes. Its probably been rebooted 2 or 3 times since.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE is part of the registry. If there was a serious problem you would have run into it by now.

Just make sure System Restore is enabled so if this happens again you can recover easily.

Would also be a good idea to be doing image backups to an external hard drive using a program like Macrium Reflect Free.

Leesie

Leesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Great, thank you! I was a tad concerned it was a sign of a demising hard drive. Thanks again for the info!!