Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow/no wifi whenever main computer is off

network wifi internet

• Please log in to reply

bob88

bob88

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hi,
So I just created a new wireless network a few days ago and recently noticed that whenever I shut down the main computer it was created on, the internet on the other devices at home become incredibly slow/barely work. Once I turn the computer back on again, everything runs fine on all devices. I've never had a wifi issue like this before when turning my computer off and I'm also not tech savvy at all, so I'm not sure how to fix this or what exactly the problem is (if it is a problem at all). I would appreciate some help.

Thanks

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Could you explain what you did to create a new wireless network?  Are you using Internet Connection Sharing?

bob88

bob88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

After resetting my router (I was told to try this since my chrome cast was having issues accessing the internet), I went in the Network and Sharing Center and I set up a new connection/network. I had a relative help me out in setting the network up so I'm not sure about the exact details. I think the 'connect to the internet option' was selected, then the 'wireless' option was selected over the broadband, and then I think the network name/security information was filled in.

and no, I don't think I'm using Internet Connection Sharing. 

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Get the free version of Speccy:

http://www.filehippo...download_speccy (Look in the upper right for the Download
Latest Version button  - Do NOT press the large Start Download button on the upper left!)  
Download, Save and Install it.  Tell it you do not need CCLEANER.    Run Speccy.  When it finishes (the little icon in the bottom left will stop moving), 
File, Save as Text File,  (to your desktop) note the name it gives. OK.  Open the file in notepad and delete the line that gives the serial number of your Operating System.  
(It will be near the top about 10 lines down.) Save the file.  Attach the file to your next post.  (More Reply Options, Choose File, Open, Attach This File)

That will let me see how your WiFi is set up.

bob88

bob88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Here you go

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Not seeing much.  You have Network Discovery enabled but that shouldn't have any effect on other devices.  Otherwise it looks like all of the other WiFi enabled PCs.

What else do you have using your WiFi network?  Any PCs or Macs?  We need to get on one of them with the main PC on & off and run some tests to see what is actually happening.  If you have another PC what version of Windows is it?  

bob88

bob88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Only have macbooks, iphones, samsung tablet & phone using the wifi network.
Not sure if this is relevant, but I noticed whenever the computer is off the lan port signal on the router turns off as well. 

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Something odd in your router setup.  What make & model number is the router?

bob88

bob88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

its a dlink, model: DIR-628

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

What is your router connected to?  Is there a cable from the Internet or DSL plugs and where does it go?  When you say "lan port signal on the router turns off " exactly which light is that?  I see Power, The Internet LED that looks like a globe, WLAN, Wireless data, 4 Local Network LEDs and a WCN LED.

Advertisements

bob88

bob88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

The cable from the internet is connected to a modem, and by the port signal turning off I mean 1 of the 4 local network LEDs turn off when the computer turns off, and on when the computer turns on. There is also a blue dlink cable (ethernet I'm assuming?)  connected to 1 of the 4 'LAN' ports in the back of the router that connects to the main computer. 

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

OK.  You should be able to disconnect the cable from the router to the PC without it doing anything.  The Ethernet port on the PC is still active even when Windows doesn't use it so that explains why the LED is on and why it goes off when you turn off the PC.

When you turn off the PC, do the other devices show a weaker signal?  

After reading the manual, I can see a few possible ways to make it happen the way you are seeing but no way to tell without a  PC.  Perhaps the Macbook.  Can you open Terminal on the Macbook and type:

traceroute google.com

then hit Enter.

It will look something like this:

Tracing route to google.com [216.58.217.14]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1  <==This is your router
  2     9 ms    12 ms     8 ms  96.120.12.37  <==This is your modem or your ISP.  It should not start with 192.168.0.
  3     9 ms     8 ms    10 ms  xe-11-1-0-sur01.granby.co.denver.comcast.net [68.85.221.41]
  4    11 ms    10 ms    10 ms  ae-38-ar01.denver.co.denver.comcast.net [68.86.103.5]
  5    10 ms    10 ms    10 ms  be-33652-cr01.1601milehigh.co.ibone.comcast.net[68.86.92.121]
  6    11 ms    12 ms    13 ms  be-11719-cr02.denver.co.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.86.77]
  7    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  hu-0-11-0-4-pe02.910fifteenth.co.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.84.166]
  8    14 ms    10 ms    10 ms  as1239-pe01.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net [75.149.228.174]
  9    11 ms    10 ms    10 ms  209.85.142.124
 10    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  209.85.250.237
 11    10 ms    10 ms    10 ms  den03s09-in-f14.1e100.net [216.58.217.14]

Then turn off the PC and repeat the traceroute.  Does anything change?  Especially the first 2 lines?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

PS.  Going to be away from my PC for a while.

bob88

bob88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

That's OK. I am going to work soon so I will be trying out your instructions and posting back about it later. 

Just to recap:
I should disconnect the cable running from the router to the PC (the blue ethernet cable?), then turn off the PC and check the other devices. 
Then test the macbook when the PC is on, and then when it is off and check for a change specifically from the first 2 lines?
Should I be connecting the cable back in before I test the macbook?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

The cable is not important.  It's not really being used at the moment.  You should be able to remove it without anything changing other than the Local Network LED going out.  Unless something strange happens when you remove it it need not go back.

Run the traceroute on a macbook and not the first two lines of the result then shutdown the PC and repeat the test.