Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gaming PC Build Reccomendations

Help Gaming Build

• Please log in to reply

That1person

That1person

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

So I'm working on building my first gaming PC and I already have most of the components picked out, but I'm not sure what kind of cooling system I should use. I want a liquid system, but I'm not too confident about their longevity based on reviews (at least in the 70-100 dollar price range I have for it), and I'm also not sure if my build would really need it. So, I'm going to list all of the parts I chose and maybe somebody could recommend to me what I should use in regards to the cooling system in particular, or if you see any other issues with my build, letting me know about them would be vastly appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 6 MB Skylake Quad-Core 2.7 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I56400 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM:  G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-16GXM

Hard Drive: Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

Video Card: EVGA 02G-P4-3751-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card

Power Supply: 750W Gaming 120MM Fan Silent ATX Power Supply PSU 12V

Sorry about how dense the list is, but I did not really know of another way to list the parts so clearly. Anyway, if anybody has the patience to tell me about the build, that'd be really appreciated, and thank you.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome: That1person.

There are some issues with your list. the CPU is socket 1151 and not compatible with the MB, socket 1150. 

8GB of RAM is the sweeet spot for a gaming build.

A good quality 550W PSU is more than enough for the build, unless you intend running duel GPUs, not something I recommend.

As you are installing a non K CPU, you will only have Turbo Boost, no real overclocking.   I would advice using the stock heat/fan to start with, change to an aftermarket one later if not happy with the results

http://www.trustedre...-i5-6400-review

You did not include a case of Optical dreve.   Though the Optical drive is not essential, most software comes on disc and is still the simlest way of installation.

If you give us your max budget, we will configure a build with the best performance for your Dollar.. 

That1person

That1person

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Thanks for the advice iammykyl, it's helping a lot. I think that I'll pass on the offer of you making my build though, as I really would like to make my build as much "me" as possible, if that makes any sense (I know it's silly). Anyway, I've changed to getting a single of those same RAM cards instead of the 2 8 GB ones I originally planned on getting. I also changed the motherboard to the ASRock Z170 Pro4 LGA 1151 to resolve the conflicting sockets, and changed the power supply to the CORSAIR CX series CX600 600W. I read the core review, so upgraded to the Intel Core i5-6600, as speed is a pretty big factor for me. As for the Optical Drive, I, little tech babby that I am, am not aware of what it is, so could you please let me know about it?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

I do fully understand you want it to be your computer, Suggestions are never a criticism of your capabilities, we just try to help you get a balanced system (no weak CPU with high end GPU, or high end parts with case having poor airflow, etc.) and all parts are compatible, 

Excellent choice for the MB and CPU, but the RAM is not compatible, > http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007611%2050008476%20601190327%20600006074%20600532699&Manufactory=8476 norgood practice to have a single stick, if it fails you have no working computer.   Better to have 2 x 4GB = 8GB, if one fails, you can still keep going.   For that MB it needs to be DDR4,  Note, if colour coordination is important, you may need to choose a different RAM brand, 

The Optical drive is a DVD writer/reader, a basic one is all you need, more advanced will write to Blu-ray discs. Added one to your parts list, > http://pcpartpicker.com/list/BXr7XH

You still need to select a case.

The build is very good at the price point but Your GPU is a bit weak.   I would do a little more research as, because of the introduction of the GTX 1060, there are some great bargains about. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hope you don`t mind me chiming in folks  :)

Wouldn`t go with the CX600 PSU, not one of Corsairs success stories and if you read even the first page of Newegg feedback you will see multiple complaints that include failure and coil whine, the modular version is the better of the two but is more expensive, an alternative to consider is the EVGA 650 BQ 110-BQ-0650-V1 80+ BRONZE 650W Semi Modular PSU here not sure what is going on with the Newegg information on the PSU as it differs to what EVGA state for the same PSU here

That1person

That1person

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Thanks for bringing the ram to my attention, as I have changed them to the CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4, and while I was looking at the motherboard, I saw that its maximum memory is 64 GB; is that in reference to the RAM or the hard drive?

As for the drive, I thought that since I have a normal DVD player that I could plug it in and use it whenever I need it instead of having to buy one for my computer. If you can't do that though, I think I will just buy that at a later date, as the price is already climbing a bit for me right now, and I still have to get a monitor.

I also realized that I forgot to list the case, which is the Fractal Design Define S Black Window Silent ATX Midtower. Reviews said that it is very spacious and good for a first build in that sense; I personally really like the window on the side.

I have replaced the GPU with EVGA GeForce GTX 960 02G-P4-2966-KR 2GB. Let me know if it is still weak, as I have chosen this one because reviews say it is fine and, as I have said, the price is still rising a bit (but don't worry, I really just want quality, even if I have to save money for a few extra weeks.)

And finally I think I will just get a fan right away, as I really don't want to risk it getting too hot and damaging any of the parts, so does the Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 sound good, and how many should I get?

That1person

That1person

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hope you don`t mind me chiming in folks  :)

Wouldn`t go with the CX600 PSU, not one of Corsairs success stories and if you read even the first page of Newegg feedback you will see multiple complaints that include failure and coil whine, the modular version is the better of the two but is more expensive, an alternative to consider is the EVGA 650 BQ 110-BQ-0650-V1 80+ BRONZE 650W Semi Modular PSU here not sure what is going on with the Newegg information on the PSU as it differs to what EVGA state for the same PSU here

Thanks for telling me about how the Corsair did not really work for you because now that I think about it, quite a few of Corsair's reviews have had complaints about their products not lasting very long (liquid coolers, power supply and something else I saw but can't quite remember...) But yeah I will take the recommendation of that EVGA.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the heads up Phillpower2, :thumbsup:   knew the PSU was the Builder series, but not that it had such a bad rep.   Added the EVGA to the list.

Noted the RAM change.

"maximum memory is 64 GB;"  Does refer to the max RAM supported by the Motherboard.

"I thought that since I have a normal DVD player that I could plug it in and use it whenever I need it."   If you mean a player you plug into a TV, it will not work for installing software, although it is a Optical Player, it cannot be seen/recognized by the UEFI (BIOS), so you can't Boot to it.  Options.

Download load an ISO image from Microsoft using you OS Product Key, then burn to USB.   When installing, use a top USB port on the back of the case, controlled by the UEFI, often the ports on the front of the case only become enabled after the OS install.

You MB has an Easy Driver Install, over the internet, can take a long time.   GPU drivers and software, alsoover the Net.

The GTX 960 is good, I have a Gigabyte brand in my W8.1 build.  Buying a higher tier card would be a sort of half step as the GTX 1000 series, staring at $245 is the better upgrade.   Not to complicate things, if my rig, I would build, configure and get to know the system, save for a couple of months, buy a GTX 1060.

The case is good.   BUT!! it does not have an external bay for an optical drive. I don't believe your system will run hot, the case, as is, will keep it cool enough.   Test the system first before buying additional fans.   Not the Cooler Master.   Stay with Fractal, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835352008

Revised list, without case or fan, > http://pcpartpicker.com/list/XvXbhq

Possible case. > http://www.ncixus.co...45&promoid=1062 Or > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854019&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are both most welcome  :)

That1person

That1person

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Alright then, that is all of the parts picked out, just one more question: in order to transfer all of the data from the laptop I currently use to the new computer once it's ready, do I have to use a flash drive to ferry over each bit of data bit by bit, or is there some easier way of doing that? (Also thanks for showing me PC Part Picker exists, it is much better and easier than using the Newegg wishlist to organize the parts like I was doing before.)

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Alright then, that is all of the parts picked out,

So which case, with or without an optical drive bay?   Are you sticking with the GTX 960?

do I have to use a flash drive to ferry over each bit of data bit by bit, or is there some easier way of doing that? 

You can backup all your Data to a USB stick, plug that into the new build and copy over.

You can link the computer together over an Ethernet cable, I found that very hard.

My method, use a USB Data Link Transfer cable,   Get one like this that has embedded software, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812225060

You are very welcome, :rockon: 

We are here if you need any build help, or further questions.

Good luck. 

That1person

That1person

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

So I decided on the Fractal Design Define R4 ATX Mid Tower with an optical drive (Asus DRW-24B1ST) once I saw how cheap they actually were. Regarding the data transfer, I might try the USB transfer cable, as the data I want to transfer includes several games among other things. Thanks an infinite amount for helping me with all of this, though.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Good decision, nice case and an Optical drive is the simplest method for installs.

Only transfer your Data, no programs as most often Reg files and DLLs get left behind or placed in the wrong place or not compatible with the new OS.   Always perform of fresh install to a new system. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Been a while since we heard from You!!!   How did your build go?   Is the performance satisfactory?   An update would be appreciated.

Thanks. 

That1person

That1person

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Gday.

Been a while since we heard from You!!!   How did your build go?   Is the performance satisfactory?   An update would be appreciated.

Thanks. 

Ah well I have actually been saving the money because I had almost none when I posted this (which was why by budget was so flexible) so I haven't actually bought it yet. It should still be a couple more weeks, but I am a bit worried as the card I wanted has gone out of stock. I will let you guys know when it is finished and tested though.