Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 profile refuses to logon (Resolved).

Best Answer ROV2025 , 05 November 2016 - 11:46 AM

Not heard back from you ROV2025, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.Thanks very much for all your assistance, I'm going to shut this laptop... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

ROV2025

ROV2025

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Why not remove the battery and run the notebook from the mains using the AC adaptor while you do the back up of data.

Can you suggest a program which scans folders and files to give a text file with contents, file sizes etc. Long ago I used ACDSee to perform that function. 

Try freeware SearchMyFiles

Any idea how much time I might have left on the battery/monitor  (whichever is causing the snaky black line)  If it is the battery, after I've completed the backup is there a way to temporarily prolong the battery, or is replacement the only option? 

No way of knowing but as suggested above run the notebook from the mains for now, regarding replacing the battery, that is your call i`m afraid, none of us know how long the computer has been used with the battery in place while being powered from the wall socket, this seriously reduces the battery life but would not expect it to cause a snaky black line on the screen.

As for backup, am using suggestions of backing up only data of media ...text, image and video , but what about bookmarks on google 

Google bookmarks are not kept on your computer, they are held at your online Google account and can be accessed from any computer, see how to import or export Google bookmarks here

is there a practical way to list which programs are running i have so that they could be duplicated ?

Not sure exactly what you mean here by "duplicated" so my answer may not be what you are asking, you can find what programs are on the computer by going into Add/Remove programs or use CCleaner, see the The No-Command-Line Way: Create a List of Installed Programs Using CCleaner info here

In this instance any programs themselves cannot be duplicated, if you were creating a back up image or cloning the entire contents of the HDD you could but not by drag and drop etc.

quick update, working on the backups amidst crashes and freezes....will give more details after completions 

thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

ROV2025

ROV2025

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

Due to the highly unstable nature of the pc, its battery and probably its monitor ( the long snaky black line continues obscuring vision thereby making it more difficult to view many things on screen)  I'm continuing the backup of the pc data

the black line has extended the task, but I'm persevering.  , will give a complete report, when I'm complete

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks for the update ROV2025  :thumbsup:

ROV2025

ROV2025

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Thanks for the update ROV2025  :thumbsup:

The backup operation still proceeding

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:thumbsup:

ROV2025

ROV2025

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

:thumbsup:

Backup operation still in progress but system operations have slowed to a snails pace.

This has been the case since I deleted the Iobit suite as suggested, which was doing almost daily cleanup on the pc. Not sure if  thats related to the system slowdown or not. Can you suggest a safe cleaner, like maybe ccleaner in hopes I can regain just a little more speed so I can get the backup done. Vertical Snaky black line center screen remains a constant irritant and obstructs the view  

thanks for bearing with me

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

CCleaner is very good as long as you stay away from the registry cleaner, btw, you really shouldn`t be needing to ever run programs like CCleaner on a daily basis.

No worries about how long it takes, we will be here and thank you for keeping us posted  :thumbsup:

ROV2025

ROV2025

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

CCleaner is very good as long as you stay away from the registry cleaner, btw, you really shouldn`t be needing to ever run programs like CCleaner on a daily basis.

No worries about how long it takes, we will be here and thank you for keeping us posted  :thumbsup:

Almost completed the backup...avoided using the registry cleaner w ccleaner,

if not a daily scan with the cleaner, then how often to run it?  

also wondering if theres a program to help me locate old shortcuts on the drives as well as one to locate duplicate files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

It depends on how much a computer is used and what it is used for as to how often CCleaner should be run.

dupeGuru (free) should help you find dupes and short cuts, just find what you want and then back it up, you need to scroll down to the Old Versions option here for Windows 7 as the later versions are not compatible with Windows.

Advertisements

ROV2025

ROV2025

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

It depends on how much a computer is used and what it is used for as to how often CCleaner should be run.

dupeGuru (free) should help you find dupes and short cuts, just find what you want and then back it up, you need to scroll down to the Old Versions option here for Windows 7 as the later versions are not compatible with Windows.

I've completed what I hope to be the most important of the backups   only one external drives remain. I've backed up C and D of the laptop drives and an external drive.

Due to deteriorating conditions on this pc, I've decided  to first back it up,(which I did)  then to determine best  options to transfer whatever I can from this pc laptop running win 7 to a much better laptop running win 10. 

Other than bookmarks, which I think I've retrieved via google chrome login,  all that I could from the old non-working profile of this pc. I would like a way I could backup these chrome bookmarks to an html file?

Due to the lack of stability of this pc, Ive opted to not attempt to restore the other profile, 

Current concerns are two:

one, the battery on this laptop is down to 88% and dropping steadily, not recharging ...so I don't know how long the pc will continue running

two, the snaky black, vertical line remains consistent on the screen ...making it very difficult to see. I would like to know its cause and any possible remedy for it.  ..The whiter the screen the thinner and more flexible it appears to be

If I can get advice on those matters first, then perhaps after that, to gain best options for whats necessary to do the transferral of programs etc

thanks very much for bearing with me during this process and for all your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

one, the battery on this laptop is down to 88% and dropping steadily, not recharging ...so I don't know how long the pc will continue running

As per my reply #30

Why not remove the battery and run the notebook from the mains using the AC adaptor while you do the back up of data.

two, the snaky black, vertical line remains consistent on the screen ...making it very difficult to see. I would like to know its cause and any possible remedy for it.  ..The whiter the screen the thinner and more flexible it appears to be

Hardware related and therefore going off topic + it is best to only deal with one problem at a time in any one thread.

Due to deteriorating conditions on this pc, I've decided  to first back it up,(which I did)  then to determine best  options to transfer whatever I can from this pc laptop running win 7 to a much better laptop running win 10. 

This is also going off topic and a completely different scenario, you may find that many of your Windows 7 programs are not compatible with Windows 10 + there may also be product keys that cannot be reused on any computer other than that which they were originally purchased for.

To summarise, your request for help was titled "Win 7 profile refuses to logon" we tried helping you with that but along the way the legitimacy of the Microsoft software has been cast into doubt, due to the poor condition of the computer you were concerned about losing your data and so asked for help with backing up the data, we have helped you with that, we are now at a point where no more assistance can be offered with this computer until we have checked that the OS is legit, we are all bound by the GTG Terms of Use and by continuing to help we would be breaching the rules that have been put in place to protect us all, please run the WV Check and post the log so that one of us can check it, you have spent many hours backing up without the computer failing so it is highly unlikely that it will do so by you running such a light weight task as this;

Download WVCheck from;

Latest EXE Download

Latest ZIP Download

Double click WVCheck.exe. (If you downloaded the zipped version you will need to extract it.)

As indicated by the prompt, this program can take a while depending on your hard drive space.

Once the program is done, copy the contents of the notepad file and attach them to your next reply for us please.

As said no problem with how long things take as long as things are done right.

ROV2025

ROV2025

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

As per my reply #30

I'm reluctant to try that because the last time I removed this laptops battery, it would not boot..highly unstable

Hardware related and therefore going off topic + it is best to only deal with one problem at a time in any one thread.

This is also going off topic and a completely different scenario, you may find that many of your Windows 7 programs are not compatible with Windows 10 + there may also be product keys that cannot be reused on any computer other than that which they were originally purchased for.

To summarise, your request for help was titled "Win 7 profile refuses to logon" we tried helping you with that but along the way the legitimacy of the Microsoft software has been cast into doubt, due to the poor condition of the computer you were concerned about losing your data and so asked for help with backing up the data, we have helped you with that, we are now at a point where no more assistance can be offered with this computer until we have checked that the OS is legit, we are all bound by the GTG Terms of Use and by continuing to help we would be breaching the rules that have been put in place to protect us all, please run the WV Check and post the log so that one of us can check it, you have spent many hours backing up without the computer failing so it is highly unlikely that it will do so by you running such a light weight task as this;

Download WVCheck from;

Latest EXE Download

Latest ZIP Download

Double click WVCheck.exe. (If you downloaded the zipped version you will need to extract it.)

As indicated by the prompt, this program can take a while depending on your hard drive space.

Once the program is done, copy the contents of the notepad file and attach them to your next reply for us please.

As said no problem with how long things take as long as things are done right.

Heres the log from the check, now if you could please explain what this program did and its results, thanks

Windows Validation Check
Version: 1.9.12.7
Log Created On: 2345_23-09-2016
-----------------------
INFORMATION & UPDATES
Latest versions:
-----------------------

Windows Information
-----------------------
Windows Version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 
Windows Mode: Normal
Systemroot Path: C:\Windows

WVCheck's Auto Update Check
-----------------------
Auto-Update Option: Download updates automatically, but ask me when I want to install them.
-----------------------
Last Success Time for Update Detection: 2016-09-22 20:18:35
Last Success Time for Update Download: 2015-08-19 05:39:37
Last Success Time for Update Installation: 2015-08-19 08:02:40

WVCheck's Registry Check Check
-----------------------
Antiwpa: Not Found
-----------------------
Chew7Hale: Not Found
-----------------------

WVCheck's File Dump
-----------------------
C:\Program Files (x86)\Magical Jelly Bean\keyfinder.exe
Size: 818488 bytes
Creation; 22/8/2016 1:35:23
Modification; 17/2/2016 15:21:16
MD5; a0d6fa3ef06e5996e4f053081850100c
Matched: Keyfinder.exe
-----------------------
C:\Windows\System32\slmgr.vbs.removewat
Size: 113629 bytes
Creation; 10/6/2009 16:38:48
Modification; 10/6/2009 16:38:48
MD5; 38482a5013d8ab40df0fb15eae022c57
Matched: *removewat*
-----------------------
C:\Windows\System32\slwga.dll
Size: 13824 bytes
Creation; 20/11/2010 21:23:48
Modification; 25/4/2015 7:32:20
MD5; e61f59694f03806c39e39260b7f17acd
Matched: slwga.dll
-----------------------
C:\Windows\System32\slwga.dll.bak
Size: 14336 bytes
Modification; 20/11/2010 21:23:48
MD5; 19f75d71e4256f5113d64ce2bb66b838
-----------------------
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\slmgr.vbs.removewat
Size: 113629 bytes
Creation; 10/6/2009 16:38:48
Modification; 10/6/2009 16:38:48
MD5; 38482a5013d8ab40df0fb15eae022c57
Matched: *removewat*
-----------------------
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\slwga.dll
Size: 13824 bytes
Modification; 25/4/2015 7:32:20
MD5; e61f59694f03806c39e39260b7f17acd
-----------------------
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\slwga.dll.bak
-----------------------
C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-security-spp-wga_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_5d778f71b9f4fd55\slwga.dll
Size: 15360 bytes
Creation; 20/11/2010 21:24:21
Modification; 20/11/2010 21:24:21
MD5; b6d6886149573278cba6abd44c4317f5
-----------------------
C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-security-spp-wga_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_0158f3ee01978c1f\slwga.dll
-----------------------

WVCheck's Dir Dump
-----------------------
WVCheck found no known bad directories.

WVCheck's Missing File Check
-----------------------
Missing: C:\Windows\system32\slmgr.vbs
Matched: %systemroot%\system32\slmgr.vbs
-----------------------

WVCheck's HOSTS File Check
-----------------------
WVCheck found no bad lines in the hosts file.

WVCheck's MD5 Check
EXPERIMENTAL!!
-----------------------
user32.dll - 861c4346f9281dc0380de72c8d55d6be

-------- End of File, program close at 0037_24-09-2016 --------

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
I'm reluctant to try that because the last time I removed this laptops battery, it would not boot..highly unstable

That is most unusual behaviour, it is normally the other way around as in the battery causes problems but a notebook will work when the battery is removed, the only explanation that I can think of is that the AC adaptor is putting enough power through the battery to trickle charge it but not putting out enough charge to power the notebook on its own.

We will come back to this once you are happy that everything that you need is securely backed up.

WVCheck checks the OS to see if it has been cracked, see the copy/paste explanations below;

WVCheck's Registry Check Check
-----------------------
Antiwpa: Not Found An illegal software crack used to bypass copy protection for Windows, not found on your computer which is a good sign.
-----------------------
Chew7Hale: Not Found  a program that prevents Windows from automatically sending to Microsoft information about how you use your computer as part of Microsoft's Software Protection Platform, also not found on your computer which is another positive.

Now to the issues that WVCheck is showing, Windows has not been able to update since 2015-08-19 08:02:40 and because of the file that I have also highlighted in red below;

Auto-Update Option: Download updates automatically, but ask me when I want to install them.
-----------------------
Last Success Time for Update Detection: 2016-09-22 20:18:35
Last Success Time for Update Download: 2015-08-19 05:39:37
Last Success Time for Update Installation: 2015-08-19 08:02:40

WVCheck's Missing File Check
-----------------------
Missing: C:\Windows\system32\slmgr.vbs
Matched: %systemroot%\system32\slmgr.vbs

You now have your Windows product key details written down and to try to resolve the update issue you should try reactivating Windows by following the steps previously post in my reply #16;

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 3
2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.
3: Follow on screen instruction/s.

If the above does not work;

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4
2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.
3. Select your Country.
4. Follow the instructions for phone activation (should be free of charge).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not heard back from you ROV2025, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.