Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 profile refuses to logon (Resolved).

Best Answer ROV2025 , 05 November 2016 - 11:46 AM

Not heard back from you ROV2025, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.Thanks very much for all your assistance, I'm going to shut this laptop... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

ROV2025

ROV2025

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

I'm reluctant to try that because the last time I removed this laptops battery, it would not boot..highly unstable

That is most unusual behaviour, it is normally the other way around as in the battery causes problems but a notebook will work when the battery is removed, the only explanation that I can think of is that the AC adaptor is putting enough power through the battery to trickle charge it but not putting out enough charge to power the notebook on its own.

We will come back to this once you are happy that everything that you need is securely backed up.

When I had removed the battery awhile back, and the whole pc went down, I think my friend said the power source had died ..the adapter or something similar

The good news is yesterday, after i unplugged the power to the pc then replugged it in, the battery began recharging and made it back to 100%

WVCheck checks the OS to see if it has been cracked, see the copy/paste explanations below;

WVCheck's Registry Check Check
-----------------------
Antiwpa: Not Found An illegal software crack used to bypass copy protection for Windows, not found on your computer which is a good sign.
-----------------------
Chew7Hale: Not Found  a program that prevents Windows from automatically sending to Microsoft information about how you use your computer as part of Microsoft's Software Protection Platform, also not found on your computer which is another positive.

Now to the issues that WVCheck is showing, Windows has not been able to update since 2015-08-19 08:02:40 and because of the file that I have also highlighted in red below;

Auto-Update Option: Download updates automatically, but ask me when I want to install them.
-----------------------
Last Success Time for Update Detection: 2016-09-22 20:18:35
Last Success Time for Update Download: 2015-08-19 05:39:37
Last Success Time for Update Installation: 2015-08-19 08:02:40

WVCheck's Missing File Check
-----------------------
Missing: C:\Windows\system32\slmgr.vbs
Matched: %systemroot%\system32\slmgr.vbs

I had disabled windows security updates after installing one, I lost access to the internet, I had to do a system restore to regain the access and ever since I hadnt accepted another security update ... I had tried accepting an update ...same result ..and another system restore ..so I just abandoned them.... I think that was last year

You now have your Windows product key details written down and to try to resolve the update issue you should try reactivating Windows by following the steps previously post in my reply #16;

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 3
2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.
3: Follow on screen instruction/s.

If the above does not work;

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4
2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.
3. Select your Country.
4. Follow the instructions for phone activation (should be free of charge).

The pc instability continues, so do the screen freezes and reboots...and the damned black line makes following on screen instructions next to impossible. If I can get resolution to the broadening black line, I might risk the fix

Advertisements

ROV2025

ROV2025

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

recent addendum:  

For future reference, I was finally able to examine the pins on my monitor (which was plugged into my laptop with busted screen) and one pin was broken off ... I was able to temporarily hook up another monitor which verified your theory about it likely was a hardware failure. 

Numerous non related acts of god prevented my being able to perform these tests until now, but at least now we know the cause of the 'snaky, black, vertical line' in case anyone else has the same problem.  

Now if I can get another monitor .. I will get you another update as soon as I do. thanks for all your help and for hanging in there for me 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Thanks for the updates ROV2025  :thumbsup:

Good catch on your behalf regarding the missing pin on the monitor  :thumbsup:

Does your monitor only have a VGA connection, many also have a DVI connection as well, if yours does you could purchase a DVI to VGA adaptor like the example here, this would allow you to connect you notebooks VGA port to the DVI port.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not heard back from you ROV2025, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

ROV2025

ROV2025

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Thanks for the updates ROV2025  :thumbsup:

Good catch on your behalf regarding the missing pin on the monitor  :thumbsup:

Does your monitor only have a VGA connection, many also have a DVI connection as well, if yours does you could purchase a DVI to VGA adaptor like the example here, this would allow you to connect you notebooks VGA port to the DVI port.

I dont have a notebook, but my old laptop has only a VGA connector

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

From your OP;

Laptop has busted screen, so its plugged into a monitor

A notebook and a laptop are one and the same thing, I purposely do not call a notebook a laptop as it implies that it is safe to use a notebook on ones lap when it in fact is not, the cooling vents can become restricted and dust can be drawn in by the cooling fan, both will cause overheating that is not good for the notebook and which can burn a person.

From my reply #49;

Does your monitor only have a VGA connection, many also have a DVI connection as well, if yours does you could purchase a DVI to VGA adaptor like the example here, this would allow you to connect you notebooks VGA port to the DVI port.

Perhaps you misread it as I asked if the monitor that you are using also has a DVI port as well as the VGA port that is presently connected to the VGA port on the notebook.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Any luck with the monitor, does your monitor also have a DVI port ROV2025.

ROV2025

ROV2025

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Any luck with the monitor, does your monitor also have a DVI port ROV2025.

No, my old aspire 6920 notebook only has a VGA connector and no DVI port. The temp monitor I'm using for the transferral process of my 6920 w win 7 to new notebook w Win 10 is a Dell large back but contrast is going out on this one. my luck w monitors hasnt been the best lately.   Thanks very much for that information re the terminology laptop vs notebook and info on vent overheating, it was very helpful

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

If it were an option you would not need a DVI port on the notebook, if your external screen has a DVI port you connect the video cable to the notebooks VGA port and then a VGA to DVI adaptor on the other end of the video cable to connect to a DVI port on the monitor, there are also VGA to HDMI adaptors available, some examples here

The temp monitor I'm using for the transferral process of my 6920 w win 7 to new notebook w Win 10 is a Dell large back but contrast is going out on this one. my luck w monitors hasnt been the best lately.

It would appear so, sometimes nothing is made easy for any of us and you are doing well to persevere with this.

Glad you found the additional info helpful  :thumbsup:

ROV2025

ROV2025

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Awhile back, a scan result you requested showed a series of uninstalled win 7 updates.

I explained that at one point I had discontinued all of the the security update installs because the installs seemed to be the cause of my losing access to the internet. So, at the time (about 2 years ago) I stopped the updates and havent installed any since. Even tho the updates aren't on automatic, I still keep getting notices that I need to install them. last notice told me that I have 62 important and 55 optional. I mention this because every time the system prepares these updates, it slows down my pc considerably, and actually, ever since I stopped the updates things haven't been the same since.

In order to regain the net access, I had to do a system restore

So should I take a chance to try to install all the updates, to get everything current, and perhaps lose internet access or should I continue to ignore the updates. or..just install certain ones, if so, which ones?    

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Many folk have reported having problems with Windows updates for months, some have left Windows updating for over 24hrs only for the updates to fail installing at 99%  :(

So should I take a chance to try to install all the updates, to get everything current, and perhaps lose internet access or should I continue to ignore the updates. or..just install certain ones, if so, which ones?  

Windows not being up to date puts you at risk of malware attack due to there being important security updates missing, what I suggest;

Create a new system restore point.

** Try downloading/installing the convenience rollup update from here ( please read the Known issues in this convenience rollup information first so that you are aware of the problems that you may encounter and the remedial action required).

** The alternative is to manually install the important updates 4 or 5 at a time after you first create a new system restore point, this would allow you to identify any particular update that was knocking out your internet connection after which you could uninstall and then hide the particular update so that it does not install.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

How are things going with the updates ROV2025!

ROV2025

ROV2025

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

How are things going with the updates ROV2025!

Sorry its taken awhile, I can only reply whenever I can connect the old notebook to a monitor. 

I reviewed the rollup update option and that one seems, if used, will certainly disable my internet connectivity. to prevent that, it appears the registry solution they offer to circumvent that is a bit over my head.

So I'm going to try your second option, because it might allow me to get a certain number of important updates, before (hopefully) reaching the internet killer one. .after creating a restore point to return to whenever, before reaching that roadblock.  

From what you tell me, because I've missed so many updates my systems security is seriously weakened, so it seems your second option is my only logical alternative at this point.  

Maybe you can tell me why Windows creates updates which you must install, which disables connectivity.  ..while not giving an easier way...other than pre install registry changes to compensate for it.  Perhaps discouraging those on 7 to get a newer version? I just cant figure it. Is it something they did or did I screw up somehow?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No problem, I always ask if folk are still around when I don`t hear from them for a while  :thumbsup:

Maybe you can tell me why Windows creates updates which you must install, which disables connectivity.  ..while not giving an easier way...other than pre install registry changes to compensate for it.  Perhaps discouraging those on 7 to get a newer version? I just cant figure it. Is it something they did or did I screw up somehow?

All updates are optional even ones that are tagged as important or recommended, both types when possible should be installed and if one should cause problems it can often be uninstalled, any problems with updates will often be hardware related such as a device driver whereas security patches are OS or AV (Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1 and 10) protection specific and rarely affect hardware, I say rarely as on occasion security updates can affect browsers by detecting them as suspicious and block them, rare though unless the update is buggy.

Manually installing the updates and creating regular restore points as you go is a wise approach.

Where the registry is concerned, we do not advise that the average user goes anywhere near it, one wrong click can end in disaster requiring a clean install.

ROV2025

ROV2025

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

No problem, I always ask if folk are still around when I don`t hear from them for a while  :thumbsup:

All updates are optional even ones that are tagged as important or recommended, both types when possible should be installed and if one should cause problems it can often be uninstalled, any problems with updates will often be hardware related such as a device driver whereas security patches are OS or AV (Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1 and 10) protection specific and rarely affect hardware, I say rarely as on occasion security updates can affect browsers by detecting them as suspicious and block them, rare though unless the update is buggy.

Manually installing the updates and creating regular restore points as you go is a wise approach.

Where the registry is concerned, we do not advise that the average user goes anywhere near it, one wrong click can end in disaster requiring a clean install.

System still unstable and might not survive a system restore process

I really want to thank you for all your assistance, advice and patience thru my numerous travails here