Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 profile refuses to logon (Resolved).

Best Answer ROV2025 , 05 November 2016 - 11:46 AM

Not heard back from you ROV2025, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.Thanks very much for all your assistance, I'm going to shut this laptop... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
The following are most likely what are causing the problem;

Error: (08/17/2016 06:51:58 PM) (Source: Software Protection Platform Service) (User: )
Description: License Activation Scheduler (sppuinotify.dll) failed with the following error code:
0x80070005

Error: (08/17/2016 07:51:57 PM) (Source: DCOM) (User: )
Description: C:\Windows\System32\slui.exe -Embedding5{F87B28F1-DA9A-4F35-8EC0-800EFCF26B83}

Three possible causes of the above errors are: cracked software - use of a registry cleaner that has gone wrong - an outside chance an AV software conflict.

What I suggest you do next;

Obtain the product key/s for the Microsoft software using Magical Jellybean keyfinder (free), write the details down and share them with nobody.
Re-activate Windows 7 using one of the method/s below;

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 3
2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.
3: Follow on screen instruction/s.

If the above does not work;

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4
3. Select your Country.
4. Follow the instructions for phone activation (should be free of charge).

Advertisements

ROV2025

ROV2025

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

The following are most likely what are causing the problem;

Error: (08/17/2016 06:51:58 PM) (Source: Software Protection Platform Service) (User: )
Description: License Activation Scheduler (sppuinotify.dll) failed with the following error code:
0x80070005

Error: (08/17/2016 07:51:57 PM) (Source: DCOM) (User: )
Description: C:\Windows\System32\slui.exe -Embedding5{F87B28F1-DA9A-4F35-8EC0-800EFCF26B83}

Three possible causes of the above errors are: cracked software - use of a registry cleaner that has gone wrong - an outside chance an AV software conflict.

What I suggest you do next;

Obtain the product key/s for the Microsoft software using Magical Jellybean keyfinder (free), write the details down and share them with nobody.
Re-activate Windows 7 using one of the method/s below;

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 3
3: Follow on screen instruction/s.

3. Select your Country.

I had a blue screen and a shutdown before I was able to do the jellybean thing. Do you need me to run another scan with MTB so you can see details?

Can you explain what the jellybean thing is and what I will be doing to the system and are there any risks involved considering my system seems rather unstable.

thanks for understanding that I dont understand a certain level of the tech stuff and for bearing with me 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No new MTB log required at present.

What Magical Jelly Bean does is explained at the link, it does not put the computer under any stress and can be uninstalled as soon as you have your Microsoft product key/s written down and ready to use for reactivating Windows.

The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder is a freeware utility that retrieves your Product Key (cd key) used to install windows from your registry. It also has a community-updated configuration file that retrieves product keys for many other applications. Another feature is the ability to retrieve product keys from unbootable Windows installations.

No harm in checking if you are unsure about anything along the way, makes life easier all round when we all know what we are doing  :)

ROV2025

ROV2025

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

No new MTB log required at present.

What Magical Jelly Bean does is explained at the link, it does not put the computer under any stress and can be uninstalled as soon as you have your Microsoft product key/s written down and ready to use for reactivating Windows.

The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder is a freeware utility that retrieves your Product Key (cd key) used to install windows from your registry. It also has a community-updated configuration file that retrieves product keys for many other applications. Another feature is the ability to retrieve product keys from unbootable Windows installations.

No harm in checking if you are unsure about anything along the way, makes life easier all round when we all know what we are doing  :)

Ran the keyfinder and copied into text file  the Win 7 information

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You need to write the details down or print them off as they are no use stored on the computer, should the present Windows installation become corrupt or the HDD fail you will lose the details needed to download a Windows 7 ISO from Microsoft.

Once you have the details written down try reactivating Windows using one of the methods below which are placed in the order of the easiest method being first;

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 3
3: Follow the on screen instruction/s.

3. Select your Country.

ROV2025

ROV2025

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

You need to write the details down or print them off as they are no use stored on the computer, should the present Windows installation become corrupt or the HDD fail you will lose the details needed to download a Windows 7 ISO from Microsoft.

Once you have the details written down try reactivating Windows using one of the methods below which are placed in the order of the easiest method being first;

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 3
3: Follow the on screen instruction/s.

3. Select your Country.

Sorry for the delays in responding, I've been ill with thr flu and hasnt been easy to respond as promptly as Id like to.

so, as I understand it, your suggestion is to  write down the info provided by the key program. Then in order to straighten out what is causing the pc to give error messages, reactivate windows 7 using the slui.exe 3 or 4 as listed above.

I still havent determined if my copy of windows is authorized, if I reactivate it, using the key, is it possible it could not be reactivated, once the key is provided?

My other question goes to advice given earlier regarding backup. 

As a precaution, should I backup my C and D (data) drives?  If so, please outline the simplest method I could do this and what would I need to buy to do so

thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No worries, your health must come first.

so, as I understand it, your suggestion is to  write down the info provided by the key program. 

Correct.

Then in order to straighten out what is causing the pc to give error messages, reactivate windows 7 using the slui.exe 3 or 4 as listed above.

I still havent determined if my copy of windows is authorized, if I reactivate it, using the key, is it possible it could not be reactivated, once the key is provided?

Using one of the methods provided to see if Windows can be reactivated will determine whether or not the product key is legit, once reactivated you would be able to download a Windows 7 ISO to use for a repair installation of the present OS.

As a precaution, should I backup my C and D (data) drives?  If so, please outline the simplest method I could do this and what would I need to buy to do so

Most definitely and fortunately Windows 7 makes this easy for you with the the Backup and Restore Centre, see Method Three here

Edit to add: You should only back up such things as music, photos, documents and videos and not programs or games as they will not transfer or run properly as they contain dll and exe type files. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you ROV2025, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

ROV2025

ROV2025

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Not heard back from you ROV2025, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Sorry for the delay in responding

Still getting over the flu, next week will purchase a little minidrive drive to do the backup necessary to attempt the repair the windows 7. 

I currently have an Hitachi simple minidive 320 GB  with data on it. Can you recommend this or something similar to backup my C and D drives C= 144 GB and D = 138 GB

I should be better next week and will get the drive needed

thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No problem was just checking back with you.

A 1TB drive will do, an example here once Windows has been sorted you can create a back up image on the external HDD using Macrium Reflect (free).

Advertisements

Mick686

Mick686

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I believe that the easiest thing to do would be logon with the administrators account,

Rename the profile folder that you cannot log into just add old to the end of the folder. (No reg editing, no file deleting)

Logoff and then log back on with the account that would not work, Windows will create a new profile folder. Then go grab all the data from the old folder that you want and move it to the new folder.

I have done this many times to resolve problems logging on with a user account.

ROV2025

ROV2025

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

I believe that the easiest thing to do would be logon with the administrators account,

Rename the profile folder that you cannot log into just add old to the end of the folder. (No reg editing, no file deleting)

Logoff and then log back on with the account that would not work, Windows will create a new profile folder. Then go grab all the data from the old folder that you want and move it to the new folder.

I have done this many times to resolve problems logging on with a user account.

Thanks for that suggestion, it sounds easier and less risky

tomorrow I will buy the HD to do the backup  is the 2 TB WD USB 3.0 portable, compatible to backup  the pc ?   I still have the snaky black line on the screen ...battery  meter says its 81% and not charging, thats why i think its most important to do the backup ASAP

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
 is the 2 TB WD USB 3.0 portable, compatible to backup  the pc ?  

There is a 2TB version of the drive that I suggested and both are backwards compatible with USB 2.0.

ROV2025

ROV2025

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

is the 2 TB WD USB 3.0 portable, compatible to backup  the pc ?  

There is a 2TB version of the drive that I suggested and both are backwards compatible with USB 2.0.

Due to the pcs failing health, this might become a salvage operation

Battery indicator 80% available not recharging, long snaky black line is constantly obscuring screen so I'm assuming if battery isn't replaced this pc might go down completely.

All things considered it might not be practical financially to try to save it, considering its busted screen, battery cost etc.   Have begun backup procedures on C and D drives including all external drives. 

Can you suggest a program which scans folders and files to give a text file with contents, file sizes etc. Long ago I used ACDSee to perform that function. 

Any idea how much time I might have left on the battery/monitor  (whichever is causing the snaky black line)  If it is the battery, after I've completed the backup is there a way to temporarily prolong the battery, or is replacement the only option? 

As for backup, am using suggestions of backing up only data of media ...text, image and video , but what about bookmarks on google and is there a practical way to list which programs are running i have so that they could be duplicated ?

the new system which i hope to transfer these backups on is a laptop running win 10, 

thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Why not remove the battery and run the notebook from the mains using the AC adaptor while you do the back up of data.

Can you suggest a program which scans folders and files to give a text file with contents, file sizes etc. Long ago I used ACDSee to perform that function. 

Try freeware SearchMyFiles

Any idea how much time I might have left on the battery/monitor  (whichever is causing the snaky black line)  If it is the battery, after I've completed the backup is there a way to temporarily prolong the battery, or is replacement the only option? 

No way of knowing but as suggested above run the notebook from the mains for now, regarding replacing the battery, that is your call i`m afraid, none of us know how long the computer has been used with the battery in place while being powered from the wall socket, this seriously reduces the battery life but would not expect it to cause a snaky black line on the screen.

As for backup, am using suggestions of backing up only data of media ...text, image and video , but what about bookmarks on google 

Google bookmarks are not kept on your computer, they are held at your online Google account and can be accessed from any computer, see how to import or export Google bookmarks here

is there a practical way to list which programs are running i have so that they could be duplicated ?

Not sure exactly what you mean here by "duplicated" so my answer may not be what you are asking, you can find what programs are on the computer by going into Add/Remove programs or use CCleaner, see the The No-Command-Line Way: Create a List of Installed Programs Using CCleaner info here

In this instance any programs themselves cannot be duplicated, if you were creating a back up image or cloning the entire contents of the HDD you could but not by drag and drop etc.