Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Who Is On My WiFi?

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

So, here's the story ... I have one step-son who lives with my wife and I ... He considers himself a hacker of sorts

my OTHER step-son and his wife live right next door and they seem to think that the step-son living here is using their wi-fi ... I have repeatedly changed the password and he still seems to be able to figure it out ... 
he also denies doing it ... so ....

I was wondering, is there a program that might allow me to get actual proof that he is doing it?

we live out in the country and the likelihood that someone is just 'cruising by' and using their internet seems hardly likely. 

Mark

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Setup your WiFi router to only allow devices with specified MAC addresses.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

this goes above my own knowledge of what is going on :) ... I have no idea what a specified MAC address is ... 

Also, My oldest step-son and I would like to catch the other step-son in the act ... then fix it so he can't get on it. 

when I googled it, there were a number of programs that 'said' they could do that, but I was hoping someone more

knowledgeable would be able to help me 'pick' something that would work.

Edited by moondog830, 09 August 2016 - 07:38 PM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

One way to try and "fix it" is by setting up your WiFi router to only allow devices with specified MAC addresses to be able to log on. (Every internet device has a unique MAC address). Click the "MAC address"es link above to find out more.

As far as catching him in the act of attempting to hack into something would require something like hidden cameras and/or installing a RAT on his computer.