Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 slow

• Please log in to reply

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

when my new hard drive comes in , can i clone the old one to the new one? and then just install it.(via adapter) Or do I have to use all my backup data from external drive , copy on to new one then install?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

How is it running since you cleaned it?  Hopefully the temps are much lower now.

If the old one doesn't fail completely before the new one comes you should be able to clone it then install it in your PC.  If you have bad sectors some of the cloning software will stop and ask you what to do.  Just tell it to skip.  I would run a disk check and a defrag right after the first boot to correct any errors.

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

So far temps are hovering around 49-53

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Lot better than starting at 67!  

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

yes definately. Thank you!!

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

I have my new hard drive now, system is running slow again, but I'm not sure how to proceed with cloning. Is there anything specific I should do first.  And if I clone will I have same issues?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Let's clone the drive before the old one fails.  We can fix any slowness after you clone it.

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

ok, I've never cloned before, can you walk me through this?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Which cloniing program are you going to use?

Do you have the USB adapter and the hard drive?  Does windows see the new drive?

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

I have USB adapter and hard drive. Do you have a recommendation for a cloning program?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Before you try to clone:

Check the S.M.A.R.T. on the new drive with Speccy or Speedfan.  Make sure you got a good drive.

Try the free version of Macrium:

http://www.macrium.c...eflectfree.aspx

Click on the download button then choose Home use.

Once it downloads, right click on it and Run As Admin.

Download, Yes.

This is just the downloader for the real program.

The program 212 MB and will take a while to download.

Once it finishes the download it will start its installer.

Click on Next

Click on Next

I accept and Next, Next

You don't need to register so No and Next

Next and Install

Finish

Close all programs.

On your desktop should be a Reflect shortcut icon.  Right click onit and Run As Admin.

It will ask you to register if you didn't register before.  You can click on Do not remind me.

Then you will get this screen with the popup to remind you to create a rescue disk.  

You can let it make a rescue disk if you want.  I never have so can't tell you what it does.  The next step is to make sure you know which is the source and which the destination.

If you are not sure which is which then unplug the USB adapter and the destination will vanish.  Plug the USB adapter back in and wait 30 seconds then click on the Refresh button. 

Once you are sure you click on Clone this drive.  The next page will show the source drive.  Verify that it is correct.  Then click on Select a Drive to Clone To.  This should show you your destination drive.  Click on it and then hit Next.

I can't go any further without actually cloning but that should be all you need.  Once it finishes it will tell you if it worked.  If it's happy then shut down the PC, swap out the drive.  Start the PC and go into CMOS/BIOS setup and verify that it sees your new drive.  Save and Exit.

Windows should load normally.  It's a good idea to run a disk check and a defrag and check your event l;ogs with VEW to make sure nothing got broken in the process.

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
Ok, sorry, I actually downloaded macrium but didn't run as admin and didn't check drive ahead of time(didn't see this)..so I was cloning and it got to 99% and now says clone failed....read failed -22-broken pipe

Edited by realapp, 04 September 2016 - 01:44 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Just try it again.  It may complain this time that the destination drive has data but just tell it to overwrite it.

You may want to disable your anti-virus while cloning.  It will be a bit faster that way.

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

I did it again with same issue. Got to 99% then failed

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Did you verify that the new drive appears good in S.M.A.R.T?

After you click on the Clone this disk, click on Advanced Options and then on Perform a Forensic Sector Copy

This will take longer but is probably more robust.  There is also an option under Other Task to Fix VSS Problems.  You might try it first.

You may need to use one of the other cloning software that doesn't rely on Windows.