Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it router, modem or att?

Best Answer jonia , 16 October 2016 - 12:06 PM

Update - Techs came 2 different days. First time changed router, but said everything ok. (the problem wasn't really happening the time he came). 2nd time -- guy came and he saw nothing was working... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

jonia

jonia

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Att Server DSL
Netgear Modem & Belkin Router
Spent 45 minutes on phone with att said had problem solved Modem & router not in sync. and she also fixed something with the modem. From previous I had a site where I could check connection. It showed IP Continuity check to 6rd BR (failed) everything else passed.
If I am hooked up to modem without router internet fine - same way with spouse. Does the IP failling have anything to do with this problem.
I am technology challenged so don't know if that's why that IP thing failed? Do I try calling att again to try to put them in sync, buy a new router or keep taking turns to use the modem :)
Thank you

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

If connecting to the modem with two different PCs works then AT&T is not at fault.  I would reset the router (there is usually a button on the back -sometimes you have to use an unbent paper clip to push it - hold it down for 10 or 20 seconds and it should reset.).  That should make it work with the 4 LAN jacks.  If  it still doesn't work then time for a new modem.

jonia

jonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I will try that. but do I understand right that it's the modem not the router that is causing the problem if it doesn't work trying the reset? thanks

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

No.  Modem is good if your PC works when directly connected.  Router is probably messed up.  The reset may fix the router.  If not, it's time to get a new one.

jonia

jonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks got it!

jonia

jonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thought we had it fixed, but the internet drops (seems worse after they did something when we called att - they twiked it from the office). Still bad so called the tech came changed out the modem said the lines were fine. (he had to go through a couple of modems to find one that would work ok.) Seem to work while he was there. He said they had to do something with the Port or Portal (something at their end) I didn't understand it :)
But that evening it was as bad as ever, can't get on the internet, then finally get on and it drops off.

Still sporadic drops off sometimes the ck connection with say PPPoE sometimes dsl somethines DNS Able to use internet 30 minutes then down green lights nothing for activity light. then ok then dns fail,

Guess we'll call Att on Monday - just really frustrated with the drop offs for no reason - one computer plugged directly into modem should not be a problem.

jonia

jonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
✓  Best Answer
Update - Techs came 2 different days. First time changed router, but said everything ok. (the problem wasn't really happening the time he came). 2nd time -- guy came and he saw nothing was working we couldn't connect for minutes - this of course was after we spent hours prior on the phone to get a person to come to the house. He gave us a new modem/router combo said there was nothing wrong with wiring. He called it in --- shortly there after we were back to normal.
Came back after wk vacation same ole thing -- Called it in spent 2 hours couldn't even get to att.speed test. They had us somehow get to a ping which then they said they's send a tech out. That afternoon - internet went off (red on the box) then on and it was back to normal. It is a problem with att So for me the problem is resolved. And, will go to a different provider if happens again.