Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't access network

Best Answer JohnGo , 29 August 2016 - 07:45 PM

On the laptop when I expand "Home group" I see a subfolder named "John".  On the PC there's nothing to expand under "Home Group".  I click on "Home group" and I get a page saying "No othe... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

JohnGo

JohnGo

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Dell Insp 5555 Laptop (delivered with win 10); Factory custom build 3 yr. old PC (came with win 7, upgraded to win 10 recently)

The Dell is a wireless internet connection; The PC is connected via ethernet cable from router.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The dell will access the PC via wireless network and transfer files/folders from the PC to the dell, which is good.  The PC will not access the Dell.  

The Network and Sharing Center on the dell shows the following: private network name (which is my router name), Homegroup (Joined), and Connections as being: WiFi followed by network/router name.

The Network and Sharing Center on the PC shows the following: Private Network name is Network 2, Homegroup: (Joined), Connections as being: Local Area Connection.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the Dell Network and Sharing Center/Change Adapter Settings, it shows the private network name: (WiFi (router name),

On the PC Network and Sharing Center/Change Adapter Settings, it shows: Local Area Connection Network 2, and VPN Connection.  (NO WIFI SHOWING). 

I would appreciate help in setting up the PC to match the dell so as to access the dell via my wireless network.  If more information is needed, please advise.

JohnGo 

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Just a suggestion If both machines are on the same Homegroup the sharing should be simpler! make sure there isn't an Antivirus with firewall installed that could block the access.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Hopefully my attached photo will help illustrate my situation.

JohnGo

Attached Thumbnails

• geeks1.jpg

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

I would try to delete the homegroup and create a new one...

It seems many people have problems with HomeGroup after upgrading to Windows 10 http://www.cnet.com/...megroup-issues/

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Ok. I'll follow up with the link when I have time and see how I come out.  Thanks for the suggestions.

naqeeb123

naqeeb123

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hello JohnGo, Your homegroup name must be same. please let us know if it is same on your pc or laptop. if not then rename one. then restart the both application. I think it will work. 

another thing that you should see on properties of your shared folder that is Advance share setting. make share there you have marked "share this folder" and share your forlder with everyone on network. 

let me know if you have any quesiton.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Thanks. I still don't have it working but I have to be away 2-3 days.  I'll attempt it again when I return.  Will you be able to leave the post open?

John G

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Yes this topic will be left open

Regards

paws

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
✓  Best Answer

On the laptop when I expand "Home group" I see a subfolder named "John".  On the PC there's nothing to expand under "Home Group".  I click on "Home group" and I get a page saying "No other homegroup PC's are available at this time".