Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My Pc has so many problems I don't even know where to begin. Any h

• Please log in to reply

rewan101

rewan101

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Hi, thanks in advance, and i'll try and keep everything and brief and concise as I can.

Rig Specs: 

Corsair 500r case

XFX 850w psu

Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 motherboard

Gigabyte R9 280x gpu

AMD Fx-8350 cpu

2x8gb corsair vengeance RAM

1x250GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD <- C drive

1x2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

+ a ton of cooling, heat isn't an issue

+PC has always been connected via a surge protector

Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

So my pc has lived a troubled life. Over the three years I've had it I've replaced the mobo, changed the RAM, and had my GPU RMA'd, all about 2.5 years ago now. In the past it's had issues with constantly freezing - fixed after clean install no.1, and problems with "kernel power failures" - fixed after buying a UPS as the suspected issue was issues with house's electrical supply. Also the USB 3 ports have never worked properly, to use them you have to plug in the device and then restart the pc, this has persisted over about 5-6 clean installs of windows. 

Current Issues:

The most recent and one i'm most concerned about is my backup drive, the 2TB seagate, disappeared from my "computer" window this evening. It had been working fine all day but then vanished. I unplugged and re-plugged the power and SATA back in, and the drive re-appeared. However on start up I got a "Disk Check" screen, which told me certain files were unreachable. And now while I can view the drive, and play films from said drive, I can't actually copy anything from it to an external or my C drive. I'm unsure how to deal with this, as I suspect that the drive has upped and died, but I'm unable to copy anything from it to a safe new location. 

The other issue the pc is having is graphics related. For a while now I have experienced "screen bounce" (), also a few days ago my PC blue screened 5 or so times in half an hour. Firstly while playing Overwatch and then a few minutes after start up. I tried several revisions of my gpu drivers, 16.8, 16.6 and 14.4, and the problems persisted using all of these drivers. I then swapped my 280x for my brothers 270x, and on the 16.8 (newest) drivers, Overwatch crashed, however when i tried the 270x on the 16.6 drivers it ran flawlessly. I then put my 280x back in, and kept it on the 16.6 drivers (which previously did nothing to fix the problem), and now I can run overwatch fine without any crashes. Also the screen bounce has mostly stopped, however it does occasionally flicker up and down a little bit when starting up a game. Interestingly the 270x also vastly outperformed the 280x in Overwatch. Using the same settings the 270x was sitting around 125-160 fps where my 280x sits at around 80. 

If anyone has an ideas on how to fix or even diagnose either of these two problems I would be incredibly grateful. If there are any details missing or you want anything clarified please just ask. My apologies if anything sounds garbled or confusing - its been a long few days trying in vain to fix the graphical issues on this pc, and now my HDD has died. Thanks again 

Edited by rewan101, 13 August 2016 - 03:13 AM.

Advertisements

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Plus 5 minutes after submitting this my screen has begun cutting in and out, flicking to black and back, and my GPU is spinning up like mad - 20+ degrees hotter than it should be idling and fan speed at 75%. Perhaps more evidence of a broken card?