Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Mouse Trouble After Updating Graphics Card Drivers

• Please log in to reply

darius_ashtear

darius_ashtear

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I'm running a VisionTek Xtasy Radeon 9200. After updating to the latest Catalyst drivers, my mouse interaction has gone to [bleep]. At first glance it appears to be working fine, but running over a menu causes it to lock up until I stop moving the mouse (selections wont highlight, etc.). Things get even worse when I try to run the game Guild Wars. When I right-click and hold, for mouselook, my normal panning speed causes the game to go into a slideshow partnered while the mouse acts as if its sensitivity got extremely overpowered.

I've tried rolling back the drivers, to no avail, as well as 2 other sets of drivers (VisionTek's own, as well as Omega Drivers). Neither of these fixed the problem. I even went as far as restoring the system to a previous state, but I'm getting an error saying it can't complete the process. Hope someone can help me out. I'd really appreciate not being forced to reformat my hard drive in order to solve this.

- :tazz: Darius

Advertisements

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

I'd really appreciate not being forced to reformat my hard drive in order to solve this.

From the sound of it, it probably won't come to that.

A similar thing happened to me when I installed a new video card and the problem with mine was wrong drivers. Which version of drivers did you roll back to? You said you used Omega drivers, but have you tried using the drivers that are from ATi's website?

darius_ashtear

darius_ashtear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I was originally using the ATI Catalyst 5.5 drivers. I updated to 5.6, which gave me trouble. After rolling back to 5.5 didn't solve the problem, I uninstalled and switched to the Omega drivers, which also didn't help. Finally, I tried VisionTek's own Radeon drivers, which also didn't do anything. I'm still on VisionTek's because there's no point in switching to one of the others, until I know what's going on.

Update:
I ran a virus scan that returned a few infected files, as well as did a Windows update. My mouse started working properly again, but after Windows Update forced me to restart, they're back to being screwed up.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Try using a different video card (preferrably another 9200) and see if the problem persists. Just make sure that you purchase one at a store that has a full money back return policy (Fry's being one of em...)