Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Laptop Charging

• Please log in to reply

Elyse Arseneau

Elyse Arseneau

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hey all, 

I'm new here but I wanted to ask whether anyone knew of a way to charge a laptop wirelessly or if not, why the technology right now isn't up to that point. 

I've done a lot of research and I feel like this is an impending thing but just isn't ready for the market yet. Does anyone know how I can do this? 

Thanks!

Elyse

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Elyse, and welcome to our forums.

:welcome:

Its an interesting area, and probably in years to come the technology will be available to do this.

However at the moment although its possible with very small currents to achieve a minute amount of charging over tiny distances, its nowhere near good enough to charge a laptop battery over a reasonable distance.

Good luck though with your research, if you manage to design a workable method of sending electricity over distances then the world will be your oyster and Bill Gates will look like a poor man in comparison to your wealth!

The thought of no more copper wires connecting properties and factories to power stations, no more house wiring just send all the electricity needed wirelessly sure is an attractive proposition.

I don't expect the copper mines and the electricity wiremen and attendant employees, suppliers and contractor industries would be too pleased, but it might have a beneficial effect on the price of automobiles, aeroplanes and all the other stuff that currently uses copper.

Regards

paws

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Well I'll be! I never thought about wireless charging till you brought it up, Elyse! Totally awesome idea for those of us who prefer laptops and take them with wherever we go (well almost everywhere) :whistling:

Oh, by the way. Welcome to GeeksToGo! :wave:

Out of curiosity, I had to google solar power your laptop, and by golly, look what I found!

7 Portable Solar Laptop Chargers Worth Considering

I guess solar power is the closest you can get to wireless, right? smileys-sunbathing-441633.gif

Not sure how strong the current is, though I would love to find out.