Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Secure a web page

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Greetings folks,

I run the website for my non-profit. Somebody gave us Netobjects Fusion to use. Said it was simple and easy to use, even for a novice. It is, to a point. Won't go into that, has nothing to do with my current problem. My problem is, the secure page component does not secure pages. It is not designed to. It simply gives you a way to force a username and password to access a page and store those usernames and passwords in a database; but it is not secure. This is what I am finding from the web, I am not an expert on any of this. 1)It does not encrypt anything. 2)The secure page can be accessed directly from an address bar, bypassing the username and password. 

Is there freeware to secure a webpage, allow users to create there own user id's and passwords, store that info in a database, and allow an admin to monitor that database?

Thanks

tjmcs

Advertisements

LongJohnSilver

LongJohnSilver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Not sure if there is freeware, but when it comes to something like website security, you most likely don't want to consider only the dollar sign. If truly securing your website is a high priority, then paying for it is likely the way to go. That being said, it doesn't necessarily have to be expensive. You might want to check with your webhost actually, as most of them offer SSL certificates and other security features as part of the whole webhosting package. This may require a bit of an upgrade on your package, but better to be safe than sorry right? 

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

If you search there are also a few free security tools that can scan your web page for vulnerabilities then you'll have to fix them if you find any but google will be your friend there its full of how to's..