Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Running Hot

• Please log in to reply

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Hi

Yesterday I replaced my Asus KS80X and celeron 2.4ghz with an Abit AV8 3rd Eye and AMD 4000+, and threw in 1gig of Corsair XMS Low Latency RAM.

Thank you to audioboy for your help in relation to performing a repair install of XP. The system booted perfectly and the repair went through seamlessly. Everything is fully functional.

The only problem is that the CPU is running quite warm. Without load, it's idle temp is between 41 and 45 degrees celsius and under load last night it got up to 55 degrees celsius (although I'm not sure if these temps are about right for the 4000+). I applied a layer of arctic silver to the CPU when installing and the heatsink is properly seated and the fan working correctly.

The overall system temp was fine, sitting at around 31 degrees celsius.

I have no other CPU or system cooling mechanisms in place.

Can anyone recommend an efficient way to reduce the CPU heat?

Thanks.

Advertisements

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
could try some more effient thermopaste i would say Arctic Silver 5 or/and if you have the fan that came with the cpu like Posted Image
that and not just a cpu, then you could replace it with a more effient Heatsink/Fan also.

Edited by RogueComGeek, 16 June 2005 - 06:43 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Hey KGH-
glad to hear the repair install worked well.

those temps seem reasonable to me, not real high at all. the artic silver will also cure over the next few days or so, which should drop the temps a bit more.

how many case fans do you have?
My pc was running those same temps as yours when I built it (P4 3.2 HT). I had 2 exhaust fans, and a side intake fan in a big antec case. I added a second intake fan to the front of the case, which dropped my system temp by 5-6c, and my cpu temp 3-4c. I now idle around 37-39c, and under load it gets to about 51c.

note that is all using the stock hsf and thermalpad.
if your thinking of adding another case fan, pay attention to how much air it moves. the antec fans move 34 cfm (cubic feet per minute), while many of the other brands will move about 27cfm, and cost the same $8 for the 80mm size.
if you can go for a 120mm fan, even better.

KGH

KGH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
At the moment, no fans except the rear exhaust on the PSU. Case is old and tight.

I'll pick up a 120mm Antec Smart Cool fan today and other than that, give the arctic silver a couple of days to settle and then look at a new case. Mine is ready for an upgrade.

Do you have any suggestions? I am rather limited to cases on www.digispan.com.au.

Thanks again.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
oh man, those prices are obscene!
are you down in australia? I dont know how much it would cost to ship something there, but I would guess it would be cheaper than those prices!

check out newegg.com, lots of options. also tigerdirect.com, or for england, ebuyer.com.
as you will see, there are tons of options. some of the "gamer" cases are kind of ugly, but pretty cheap. it all depends on what look you are going for, or if you care what it looks like. I look for lots of fan mounting options.

80mm fans are the standard size, so if you can use 120mm fans, great, as they can run slower (and quieter) and still move more air.
also watch for cases with psu's, some of the psu they provide are crap. we see many problems here caused my cheap psu's, and/or underpowered.
typically I recommend antec, thermaltake, and enermax, they make quality PSUs, that will last a long time, delivering full rated power without voltage fluctuations.
if you get something in the 480 watt+ range, then it will last through the next upgrade cycle or two.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Those temps are fine for stock cooling but you will do much better with a new case and some fans even with the stock heatsink/fan most likely you will see 37c idle 45c full load with a room temp of 22c or so.

Rick