Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start menu doesn’t open. (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 18 August 2016 - 03:30 AM

Some questions if I may; What is the model name or number of the HP. Is Windows 10 fully up to date. What AV protection are you using. What are the institutional licenses to whi... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

catbill

catbill

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Start menu doesn’t open (right click works). Eventually, can no longer open programs from Taskbar, need to reboot. Several other problems like long startup, hanging, and freezing, 

I ran Windows Repair tool 2x, antimalware, and antivirus programs. HP support has told me that the only option is a reset. However they have said this before and I have found solutions (sometimes problems go away on their own). Anyway, I would like to avoid a reset if possible.

Thank you for your help.  

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

:welcome:    catbill,

Try the refresh without losing my data option;

A: The refresh option does not delete your personal data but may remove certain apps such as Chrome etc, I do however always recommend that folk back up any important data before carrying out a refresh or making any significant changes to the computers software or hardware.

1: Right click on the notifications icon, bottom right on the task bar then click on Open Action Centre.

2: Click on the All settings tab.

3: Click on the Update & Security tab.

4: Click on the Recovery tab to the left.

5: Click on the Get started tab.

6: Click on the Keep my files option.

7: Follow any on screen messages.

8: Post back with an update for us.

catbill

catbill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thank you.

However, it is not that easy. My concern is reinstalling programs, not preserving my documents. Some are institutional licenses that I no longer have access to.

I understand that it may not be possible to avoid a reset but do you have any other suggestions that might solve this problem?

Thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
✓  Best Answer

Some questions if I may;

What is the model name or number of the HP.

Is Windows 10 fully up to date.

What AV protection are you using.

What are the institutional licenses to which you refer.

What was the Windows Repair tool that you ran x2.

Couple of points to mention;

Upgrades to Windows 10 problems are more prevalent on OEM computers such as HP and quite often the only fix is a clean install.

A refresh has been suggested not a reset and a refresh will notify you of any apps that will be removed + it will create a HTML icon on the desktop with the list of removed apps, some may be a download link to help with reinstallation

You are welcome btw  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Not heard back from you catbill, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

catbill

catbill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Sorry for not responding sooner. Your comment that “Upgrades to Windows 10 problems are more prevalent on OEM computers such as HP and quite often the only fix is a clean install” finally convinced me to take the leap and reset my computer. (Various HP technicians suggested a reset, a refresh, and a recovery. I wanted to do a refresh but it ended up being a reset.)

So far, so good.

For anyone else in my position, it might be helpful to know that my apprehensions about losing access to MS Office and Adobe CS have been alleviated. I have found highly rated freeware that appear to meet my needs.

This forum is a wonderful resource. I deeply appreciate the time that you and other volunteers have contributed. Thanks again for your insights and advice.

Cathy

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

No worries, was a bit worried that you had been put off by the possibility of losing your programs and licence keys.

The Windows 10 upgrade as said does appear to be an issue more often with brand name computers than custom builds and possibly because of the pre installed bloatware and volume licence key (VLK) product key, that said I have a gaming rig that has been installing the latest Windows 10 Anniversary update for the past 10hrs  :(

Anyhow, glad that all is now well and a job well done on your behalf  :thumbsup:

You are most welcome btw catbill and thank you for your kind words  :)