Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Movie Maker on Xp locks up after importing videos

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Encountering a problem with Windows Movie Maker locking up after I import a video.  Hourglass sits on screen for an indescribable amount of time.  This occurs whether I used wmv, avi, or any other allowable file format.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Does this article help? "file size" could be an issue on Win XP as well as possibly breaking the isolation generally needed for safe operation of Win XP operating Systems.

https://support.micr...en-us/kb/814836

it applies to "opening" as well as saving.

Try it again using a win 7 or win 10 computer and see how you get on.

Regards

paws

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Could you explain to me what is meant by "breaking the isolation"?

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

As you know the Windows XP operating system is unsafe to use without taking extraordinary precautions, including total isolation not only from the Internet but also other sources of data.

If Win XP is totally isolated then there is a great deal less concern.

Regards

paws

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Am I to understand that while i am working with Windows Movie Maker that no other programs should be running including any networking.  I assume antivirus programs that run in the background should be paused.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

No that' s not what I'm saying, although it can be a good idea to have no other programs running whilst you are creating/editing videos, so more of your computer's system resources can be devoted to the task in hand.

You need to keep your anti virus products running (although of course these will not provide you with an appropriate level of protection when using Win XP)

Regards

paws