Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

White Screen Display Problem

• Please log in to reply

AugustusA

AugustusA

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

This is an interesting problem that I've had since I purchased this computer from Ibuypower in 2014. I know the computer is a couple years old, it's out of all warranty. Sure, it would be easier to replace it or continue tolerating the problem. If it weren't for my curiosity.

Please read all the details. They're not embellished and they've been tested for frequency. Even if the problem is obvious. Every single time the screen display goes black, either during system boot, the startup of a large app, plugging or unplugging hdmi cords, or the computer going into sleep mode, my computer rolls a 70-80% chance of coming back with a white screen that may or may not display slight ghost images from 10 or 20 minutes previous. The computer is not frozen. It operates normally from behind the solid white display. Once I have a white screen, if I can perform some action like putting the computer to sleep again, then waking it, or if I can blindly run a large, graphics oriented application that normally causes the screen to black again, I have roughly a 33% chance of regaining normal display.

Alternatively, if I plug an hdmi cord into my laptop's hdmi out while the other end is connected to another display that has power (my laptop auto detects when an hdmi cord is inserted) the display will cycle and I will regain normal display function every single time. 100% success rate out of more than 100 trials. Should I remove the cord so that I needn't squat in front of my TV whilst I compute, then I roll the whitescreen dice again.

*Note: Simply using an F command to shut off my display and turn it back on has absolutely no effect. 0% probability of creating or removing the white screen effect.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read. It's really appreciated.

I'm just welcoming theories as to what it is. 

Advertisements

AugustusA

AugustusA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...pHGzPTrYZUVAQE5

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 523 posts

That's a very interesting scenario and thanks for the full information provided.

I must confess that I have never come across a similar situation before, so I guess its time to start breaking new ground.

1 I take it that you have checked and double checked that your drivers all all OK and tried both new and older versions?

2 If its not a driver issue then its likely an operating system issue or a hardware problem.

3 To try and narrow things down a little and hopefully zero in on the root of the problem have you tried booting into a live distro of Linux and seeing if the fault persists?

4 I would be inclined to boot into Ubuntu or Puppy linux (don't install anything) just run it in RAM so that when you reboot Linux will be gone and you will be back in Windows. You may need to try your boot into Linux a number of times to see if the problem persists. ( Puppy will fit happily on a CD whereas Ubuntu will need a DVD, or you could of course use a USB memory stick)

5 If you have Secure Boot on your computer you may need to disable it and UEFI before booting into a live distro of Linux

6 If the fault was present at purchase then you may have rights against the vendor under the statutory Consumer Protection laws that apply in your location/jurisdiction, notwithstanding that any guarantee/warranty may have expired.

7 Presumably you have tried a refresh of the operating system (preserving your data files etc)  but without it having any beneficial effect on the problem?

8 Do you have a good disc image made before the problem manifested itself?

9 A fairly obvious point ( but I have to ask!) is have you checked and double checked the internal cabling twixt the built in VDU and the motherboard for continuity on all "channels" and security of engagement at both ends? Laptops can be tricky things to dismantle, but this is one of the things we would do in the workshop as well as trying a new VDU and cabling if we could put our hands on them!

Hopefully the above thoughts may help, but the fact that with the external VDU its working perfectly is very interesting....

10 Finally (and do forgive me for making the point) but it would be wise to check and double check your back ups are all 100% "watertight" reproducible, comprehensive and with at least one extra copy kept safe offsite on removable media.... in addition as I am a great believer in the use of disc imaging, a good disc image even made now (using something like Macrium Reflect, the Free version is fine) would be a comfort as you could at least put things back to where they are now if things went badly wrong! The Macrium software includes instructions and a "wizard" on making a bootable "rescue" disc

Let us know how you get on

Regards

paws