Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot renew ip address

• Please log in to reply

farmerjohn

farmerjohn

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
It all started with a router that went bad. Replaced with same model (Netgear wgr 614) Foolishly followed the instructions and tried to use the resource cd on laptop2. It ran until it couldn’t connect to the internet, then crashed out. A bad DSL modem. Replaced same and configured from desk top computer. Everything runs fine from that puter, as well as laptop1 and laptop3, all wired, and laptop 3 via wireless. Laptop2 still refuses to connect automatically (on a cable that works with laptop3) and gives the following messages:

Connection status
Limited or no connectivity
You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources. This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer.
Repair- Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address.

Updated from xp home to xp pro.
Have tried multiple times in no special order with many restarts:
ipconfig /all, ipconfig/release, ipconfig/renew, netsh winsock res, netsh int ip reset reset.txt, and ran winsockXP fix

Have also seen the message “unable to contact DHCP server”

Can manually connect using address 192.168.1.4 but can’t go anywhere. Can ping that address and get an answer. Internet Explorer and outlook express both work on dialup.

Can anybody hellllllppp???????

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Well, if you can ping the rest of the internal network when you assign yourself 192.168.1.4, then more than likely your router is 192.168.1.1. I would see if I could ping 192.168.1.1, if you can, ping google.com, if you can do that, then you should be fine to brows the internet. If that doesn't work, ping 216.239.57.99, if that works, then you are just having a DNS issue, set your IP as this:

IP - 192.168.1.4
SM - 255.255.255.0
DG - 192.168.1.1
DNS - 192.168.1.1

Then try to access something.

Greazy Mcgeezy

farmerjohn

farmerjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
You're right, the router is 192.168.1.1

Still set on auto, pingging anything returns: "Destination host unreachable"

Set as you suggested returns "Request timed out" for all ip's except 192.168.1.4 which comes back "Reply from 192.168.1.4: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128" four times.

Edited by farmerjohn, 16 June 2005 - 08:23 PM.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Ok, that is normal for a computer with a static address that isn't connected, lol. First off, make sure that you disconnect/disable the dial-up connection. Then, at a command prompt, run the ipconfig /all command again, this time, post the information that you get. I also noticed that you say that laptop 2 is the one having problems, and coincidentally it's also the one that you ran the resource cd on. Did you go into your Control Panel, and check Add Remove Programs for anything related to that Resource CD? Just a thought.

Greazy Mcgeezy

farmerjohn

farmerjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
dialup unplugged
couldn't find anything that looked to be from netgear to remove

What is the best way to copy the command window?? I guess that I'm going to try a word attachment.

The top of screen shot is set manually via Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties - Alternate Configeration, and the bottom is set to auto.

More to follow...Attached File  cmd1.doc   109KB   287 downloads

farmerjohn

farmerjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
now on using laptop3,which is sitting on top of laptop2, same cable, set to auto

Can't attach screen shot so here it is with typos:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name :NEW03
Primary Dns Suffix :
Node Type : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled : No
WINS Proxy Enabled : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection

Connection-specific DNS Suffix :
Description : National Semiconductor Corp. DP8315/816/10/100 MacPhyter PCI Adapter
Physical Address : 00-0B-CD-A9-98-C6
Dhcp Enabled : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled : Yes
IP Address : 192.168.1.4
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained : Saturday, June 18, 2005 8:01:14 AM
Lease Expires : Sunday, June 19, 2005 8:01:14 AM

FYI: my desktop returns much the same except Node type: unknown and the IP address is 192.168.1.6

Let me know if the previous attachment is unreadable, and I'll type it out.

Thanks for the help!

farmerjohn

farmerjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Obviouslly i"m a very newbie
Just trying to delete a duplicate!

Edited by farmerjohn, 18 June 2005 - 07:37 AM.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Well, I see one thing that looks very odd. I'm sure it could cause an issue but I'm not sure if it's the cause of THIS issue. On the attachment that you posted, you said the top half was when you manually assigned the information and bottom was when it was trying to automatically pull the address right? On the top half, where it says "DHCP enabled: yes" and "Autoconfiguration enabled: yes", those should be stating no. Something is wrong there. Maybe you should try reinstalling the drivers for your NIC.

Greazy Mcgeezy

farmerjohn

farmerjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
will do when I get a chance - got to go play farmer now
I'll be back.
Thanks

farmerjohn

farmerjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
sorry to mess you up, but I used the Alternate Configuration Tab instead for the General Tab to set the addresses. By using the General tab, the results are as you expected, DHCP Enabled: No. Ping results the same.

new fresh of the net NIC driver installed today. no change.

what else can I do to help you?

:tazz:

Advertisements

Hawker

Hawker

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
you said you didnt put those commands in in any special order..... try ipconfig /release /renew in that order. if you have a modem and a router, you might try checking the settings in the router.

farmerjohn

farmerjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you for the try, but been there and done that (many times).
Also just ran the winsock fix again and then netsh winsock reset and netsh int ip reset reset.txt in that order with restart between.

Is there a primer anywhere that explains what steps the puter is going through when trying to connect? When I set it to auto configure under the general tab, but put in an address in the alternate tab, it seems that it is trying awfully hard to talk to the router, but isn't able to process the returned info correctly, and then defaults to the alternate (192.168.1.4) and then says that it is connected, but isn't! (I've got to believe that the router is sending the right info because laptop3 runs on the same cable.) What - where has gotten corrupted??

Hawker

Hawker

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
what kind of router is it btw? edit. (never mind...)

as for steps it goes thru, if you have winxp you can run the repair option on any connection, and it tells you step by step what its doing

Edited by Hawker, 19 June 2005 - 08:19 PM.

Hawker

Hawker

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
this might be helpful

http://kbserver.netg...les/n101209.asp

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Well farmer, it sounds like it may be a physical connectivity issue, but let's try this.

Dowlnoad following two programs (links provided below):

Ethereal
WinPcap

Install on the troubled computer and on one of the computers on your network (doesn't matter which, just as long as it's connected and you provide the IP address of that computer in the documentation that I will ask for later this post). Installing on two machines is normally not necessary, but in this case, we will get the info from both machines at once to save time and posts.

After installed, run Ethereal. At the top of the window, you will see a drop down for "Capture". Click "Start Capture". (Do this on both machines)

On the troubled machine:
Set your computer to "Obtain Automatically"
At the command prompt, type; ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew (of course not in same line).

We know it's not going to connect, this isn't what we are looking for. On each of the Ethereal setups, stop the captures and save them. Name them whatever just make sure the file name of each is respective to working/nonworking or something of that nature. Then email the files to [email protected].

What we are doing, is reviewing the packets that are being sent to and from your computer or any computer on the switch. If anything is getting anywhere, it should tell us what and where, and if not, we should be able to see where it's failing and why.

Greazy Mcgeezy