Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[GPU upgrade] 1070 or 480?

• Please log in to reply

foxslink

foxslink

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi folks, in less than a week my old man is traveling to the USA, so this is the best chance to get a new GPU , since these are too expensive in my homeland. the idea is to have a  future proof GPU and the most powerful for gaming at 1080p, i have a budget of 500 USD.  im using now a dell u2414h monitor so maybe in the future I could sell it and get a 1440p one.

I’m from Chile and here 1070 costs 250 dollars more than in the US, 480 is at almost 400 bucks and there is a shortage also, no relatives/friends are travelling to US any time soon so this is a one-time chance to get a convenient GPU upgrade.

International warranty could be an important factor as well, are MSI and EVGA the only ones that have this? If my dad could test the card on the store it would save us from a bad surprise. He is going to Washington first and then to Denver, i think the former has more PC stores.

Another option is I could save a bit on the GPU by going for a 480 and put the spare cash on an SSD , monitor or whatnot, but these are not a priority right now and they can wait for a next time, don’t you think?
I’m worried the 1070 at 1080p gaming would be overkill and if it hits above 60fps my monitor won’t be able to make the most out of it, ( cuz of the 60hz) Would It be useless then? maybe i should get a 144hz screen but that’s another topic. On the other hand I might just increase the AA a bit more and have a card that will last longer

Seems everyone favors 1070 on the web and i mostly agree.  I read that EVGA SC has high temps so the FTW version is bettter, Asus Strix is very similar to MSI gaming x in temps. I have to choose one of these 3 cards. which one you think is the best choice?

One last thing, Would it be a good idea to get a 1440 monitor later? is Gsync too expensive compared to Freesync? the problem is i can’t buy good cards on good prices every year because of availability and cost, so 1070 would last more and it will be easier to sell in my country if I were to upgrade later and i could also sell my current dell monitor too

Looking forward to hearing from you

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:   foxslink,

When laying out so much cash having international warranty cover is a very good idea, looking at the cards if me I would choose the one shown here

I’m worried the 1070 at 1080p gaming would be overkill and if it hits above 60fps my monitor won’t be able to make the most out of it, ( cuz of the 60hz) 

Initial overkill now but not long term if you plan on upgrading your screen further down the way, have the capability now rather than potentially feeling the need to upgrade the card later at more expense.

One last thing, Would it be a good idea to get a 1440 monitor later? 

Depends on your budget and only if you purchase one that has a higher refresh rate than 60Hz + matches the technology of the GPU that you have, a 2560 x 1440 Resolution 144 Hz Refresh Rate and NVIDIA G-Sync standard screen for example will retail at a minimum equivalent of 347194.72 Chilean Peso.

is Gsync too expensive compared to Freesync? 

Yes, as to why is explained in the cost info here