Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer update failed, cpu wont start up

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

hiimkarina

hiimkarina

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I hadn't used my laptop is a while and I figured it needed some updates. Acer notifications popped up for the updates I suspected i needed so went ahead and started them. It said it needed to reboot to install the updates so I did. While it was doing that, the screen was black with some text and a loading screen. When it finished loading, it told me that the update had failed and then the typical "press any key to continue". The issue was when it didn't. The fan would start up and the light that indicates that its on would turn on briefly, then it would click and shut off and then it would start again. It did this for five minutes when I finally decided to remove the battery to see if it would help. It did not. I tried the whole taking out the battery and holding the power button thing a couple of times and it hasnt helped either. Can I get some help?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:   hiimkarina,

Possibly a coincidence that the updates failed and then the notebook would not turn on as what you describe sounds more hardware related.

Remove the main battery and use only the AC adaptor to power the notebook, press the power on button and see if you can access the BIOS by immrdiately and continually tapping the Del or F2 key, let us know the outcome.

When you post back can you let us know the exact model name or number of the Acer notebook and if there is any data on the HDD that you would like to try and back up, if possible.

hiimkarina

hiimkarina

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

:welcome:   hiimkarina,

Possibly a coincidence that the updates failed and then the notebook would not turn on as what you describe sounds more hardware related.

Remove the main battery and use only the AC adaptor to power the notebook, press the power on button and see if you can access the BIOS by immrdiately and continually tapping the Del or F2 key, let us know the outcome.

When you post back can you let us know the exact model name or number of the Acer notebook and if there is any data on the HDD that you would like to try and back up, if possible.

NO LUCK Acer Aspire E5-511-P0GC - 15.6" - Pentium N3530 - 4 GB RAM - 1 TB HDD I have all of my school documents in there

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Acer Aspire E5-511-P0GC - 15.6" - Pentium N3530 - 4 GB RAM - 1 TB HDD 

Not good news I`m afraid as I suspect you may need the services of a qualified tech  :( I will explain why below.

From your OP;

The fan would start up and the light that indicates that its on would turn on briefly, then it would click and shut off and then it would start again.

Was the behaviour the exact same with the main battery removed.

Now for the explanation, bad or loose RAM can cause such behaviour as can a build of static in the RAM, one check that is often done is to remove the RAM completely then reconnect the power to see if any error beeps are heard, now the bad part, most modern notebooks make it easy to add and remove memory modules by simply removing a cover on the base of the notebook, from the info that I find on your model here it appears that a partial dismantle is involved, this is not a task for the average user as one has to be very careful to ensure that all internal components are reconnected and secured and that the correct screw is replaced in every single screw point.

What I would suggest next is to have the notebook checked with a known good AC adaptor that is compatible with your notebook, a local store may do this for free or for a small fee, ask them first.

Other than the above you are looking at a partial dismantle to check out the RAM and worse case scenario to remove the HDD in order to back up your data with an external USB HDD enclosure or adaptor, sorry that I cannot offer any easier suggestion/s.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you hiimkarina, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.