Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Experienced Builder must admit he needs help

• Please log in to reply

digiras

digiras

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello all I am new to the forum I guess because until now I've always been able to solve my own problems, that is until now. I 'm building a new CPU for a friend and as usual I thought I had finished a decent value PC for him until I went to load windows XP Pro.

Soyo SY KT600 Dragon Plus V2.0 MOBO

AMD2500 Sempron

Cosair Value 512 DDR PC3200 Memory

ATI Radeon 64 MB Video

Maxor PATA 250GB HD

CDRW/DVDCombo Drive

Antec 300 Watt Case

Computer shows Motherboard splash screen, and then quickly shows inspecting hardware. Sometimes it loads and gets all the way to the blue screen that says WINDOWS IS ABOUT TO STARTUP then it freezes on that screen. But most times it just shows the Motherboard splash screen then another sceen that says scan for Serial drives then it loads a black screen with the cursor in the upper left corner and stops. WHAT HAVE I TRIED......

1. Resetting the CMOS numerous times. NUTHIN

2. Changing the cables the CDROM is on IDE 1 the HD is on IDE 2

3. Checking the XP disk its not corrupted..

4. BIOS boot sequence checked, Optimal settings loaded.....

5. Changed Video card from AGP to PCI. Nope

6. All fans spinning, CPU Temp correct, no overheating

7. FSB Jumpers set to 400MHZ

HELP someone HELPPPPPPPPPPPPP :tazz: ;) ;) :tazz: ;)

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
here is a great troubleshooter for new build problems.

you said no sata drives, correct?

might be time to start testing components, try the hd as a slave in a different machineto see if its working, test the RAM using memtest86. take out the ram and try to boot, see if your getting error code beeps to help verify the mobo is OK, etc.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Run memtest86 you don't need a os (operating system) to run it just follow the instructions and create a bootable floppy.

Let memtest run for at least 3 passes and report back what you find, if there are a lot of errors then the ram is bad if you are using more than 1 stick remove one and retest to you find witch one is bad.

Rick

digiras

digiras

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for the fast replys I will try Memtest.. :tazz:

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts

7. FSB Jumpers set to 400MHZ

That's your first problem right there.

Also, does that SOYO board support the Sempron instruction set? Have they posted an updated BIOS which now gives you Sempron compatability?

:tazz:

Edited by Rockster2U, 17 June 2005 - 03:19 AM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hey Rockster2U I did check and his board because it is revision v2.0 does support the semperon up to 2800+.soyo
And I think the mobo jumpers are labled for the frequency the cpu runs at not a fsb frequency, I worked on one of these before remotly and there was some confusion on that but I don't remember for sure and soyo don't have the manual available for download anymore. I'll have to check I may have the manual in a file somewhere but I think I deleted it.

But still that 2500+ has a frequency of 333 so the jumper should be set to either 166 or 333 depending on how it is labled

Rick

digiras

digiras

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
So if I change the FSB frequency(166 or 133), the PC3200 memory will work cause its backwards
:tazz: compatible?

Edited by digiras, 17 June 2005 - 01:11 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yes it will work but if there are stability problems you may have to set the ram clock at 166 also.

Rick

digiras

digiras

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
;) I just like to say that you guys rock. I changed the jumper to 166 plugged her in and BAM! it's up and runnin Thanks again :tazz:

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Doby:

You lost me - FSB is the processor bus so I'm confused as to your reference. Thats OK - lots of stuff can be confusing.

Glad to learn things are working, 400MHz stuck out like a sore thumb.

:tazz:

Edited by Rockster2U, 17 June 2005 - 06:03 PM.