Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

rolled back from windows 10 to windows 7 and lost all files (Resolved)

recover lost files and folder roll back to previous window previous window version

Best Answer phillpower2 , 11 September 2016 - 01:36 PM

As we are not sure what you actually did it is hard to advise, if for example you used the Dell recovery partition then it would be expected that all personal data would be lost but not if you roll... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

jackel

jackel

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello

I have a problem and I don't understand exactly what went wrong. I rolled back (window 10) to a previous version of windows(7). I had errors since upgrading to windows 10. The system gave an option at start up to go back to previous version and I did. Upon doing so I looked and none of the installed programs, files and folders that I had before the upgrade are there. I don't know where they are.

could some please give me some instructions or advice on handling this situation. I have a Dell computer.

Thanks

Edited by jackel, 25 August 2016 - 06:31 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:    jackel,

If you rolled back within the past 28 days your data should still be in the Windows old folder, have you checked this, if not, see the Use the Wizard guide here

Good luck, let us know how you get on or if you have any questions.

jackel

jackel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

:welcome:    jackel,

If you rolled back within the past 28 days your data should still be in the Windows old folder, have you checked this, if not, see the Use the Wizard guide here

Good luck, let us know how you get on or if you have any questions.

I log on normally. The problem is I looked and did not see the windows.log file. Nothing is present on the system. I did not do a clean install. it was an upgrade. I rolled back to windows 7 and everything disappeared. Is it possible to recover it by doing a system recovery? If so please give detailed instructions

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

What procedure did you use to roll back from Windows 10 to Windows 7.

I log on normally. The problem is I looked and did not see the windows.log file. 

Open the C: drive by right clicking on it then look for a folder as outlined in the example attachment below, if there is no windows old folder present or there is an empty folder called Windows old then sadly I suspect that your data may be gone.

Is it possible to recover it by doing a system recovery?

System recovery is a set of tools for troubleshooting Windows start up problems and not a way of recovering lost data, let us know what you find when you check the contents of the C: drive and if needs be I will post the instructions for attempting data recovery using Puppy Linux.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you jackel, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

jackel

jackel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hey thanks

None of this worked. It is too late those files programs and such can't be recovered.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
✓  Best Answer

As we are not sure what you actually did it is hard to advise, if for example you used the Dell recovery partition then it would be expected that all personal data would be lost but not if you rolled back to the previous OS within 28 days of upgrading to Windows 10.