Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lenovo X201 Tablet no longer will connect...

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

When only the cable was working I checked for both adaptor driver's updates - 'they are already up to date'. Then the WiFi also stopped working. My adaptors are 'working'. I've been round their Properties Tabs and all is OK. MS diagnostics only say that there probably is a issue with the drivers. There's been no issues for over a year of use.

3 other computers plus 3 tablets use the shared router's WiFi without any problems and only 2 are ever used at a time so it's not overloaded. The router is OK.

I started the Lenovo Hardware scan but it just went on loading and never started for 12 minutes - a clue here?

At least I can still use it offline.

Luckily I have a PC to investigate, but as yet no luck even from another forum.

Any help please

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,770 posts

Hello Plutox,

Couple of questions if I may;

Have you tried a restore point that is before the issue first happened.

Have you tried uninstalling the wireless device in Device Manager, restarting the computer and allowing Windows to reinstall the device.

Have you tried connecting the tablet to the internet at a friends or family members home.

What OS are you using.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Thank you for responding.

I tried going for a restore point but there was only a very recent one (I was pretty sure there must have been more as when doing various maintenance a restore point is usually made automatically) which failed.

I thought uninstalling the wireless adaptor would need to be internet connected to reinstall it - so this is not right then but I can have those drivers downloaded onto a pen drive on my working PC in case Win doesn't reinstall them.

Using another's router I haven't tried - I could try my library's which I'll try tomorrow. I'll let you know the result.

OS is Win 10.  

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,770 posts
I thought uninstalling the wireless adaptor would need to be internet connected to reinstall it 

The device is not working in any event so uninstalling it will not matter, if it is not detected by Windows on the next boot it may suggest that the wireless card has issues.

- so this is not right then but I can have those drivers downloaded onto a pen drive on my working PC in case Win doesn't reinstall them.

Good call, if Windows detects the device that is a good starting point.

Using another's router I haven't tried - I could try my library's which I'll try tomorrow. I'll let you know the result.

:thumbsup:

OS is Win 10.  

Are there Windows 10 drivers available for the wireless device and chipset etc.

You are welcome btw  :)

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Well the laptop won't connect using another router.

"Are there Windows 10 drivers available for the wireless device and chipset etc."  The laptop was upgraded from Win 7 and I didn't do anything regards those unless it was done by Windows automatically. I'll take  look for them online though to put on pen drive.

All post Win 10  upgrade Lenovo maintenance scans have never mentioned anything regarding drivers.

I'll press on....

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Forgot to say that a few days ago I downloaded (when my ethernet connection was working) a Win 10 Intel wireless driver, having a different name, for this X201 tablet 64 bit version.   The upshot was that the laptop became unusable - after 2 unsuccessful reboots and thinking I'll have to take it to some expert repairer the 3rd reboot got back to normal startup but that's what also finished off the cable connection.

Also the Device Manager showed that the wireless adaptor description had not changed at all.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

A quote from another website  if anyone thinks of bringing it up - 

down voteaccepted

"I have managed dozens of x201 series laptops and can say I have not seen a more consistent rate of problems with wifi adapters than with this specific series.

In most cases, the internal wifi antenna is damaged/defective and must be replaced. A good indicator of this is when the green wifi symbol will not light up (and the bluetooth symbol is lit), or having the wifi light turn off shortly after enabling wifi (Fn+F5)."

This does not apply in my case except for the possible antenna bit - how would one know I wonder?

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

The Intel driver site only mention up to 8.1 but if you go to 'learn more about driver versions' it shows for win 10!

But, mine is Intel Centrino Advanced - N 6200 AGN but they show the same but ending in Dual Band instead of the AGN. They say make sure of the right download!

I can't find out the difference  - do you know?

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

On another Lenovo download site those descriptions aren't there but provides downloads appropriately I'm pretty sure - anyway on my pen drive.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Uninstalled both adaptors, restarted and both returned OK but no problem solved. Uninstalled again and installed the driver updates from pen drive. Still not fixed. Device manager shows the old drivers back.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

If I may jump in for a moment and add my 6 pennyworth....

Its sounds like at least your Ethernet was working Ok on your Windows 10 machine until a Windows update a little while ago..... its interesting however that you have only one System Restore Point,and this indicates there may be a deeper problem with your machine.

Here's some thoughts for your consideration:

1 Perform a Windows 10 Refresh (from within Windows) and see if this fixes it... a Refresh should not affect your data files see link below for information on applications Programmes etc., but as always, make sure your back ups are checked and double checked and you are sure they include everything you need and are reproducible and that you have at least one extra copy kept safe offsite on removable media.

https://support.micr...ecovery-options

2 If you have a good up to date, disc image made before the trouble started and when everything was working well then you could re-image and this will have you up and running again in less time than it takes to walk the dog! ( if you don't have a good disc image then resolve to make one as soon as possible.... Macrium Reflect ( free version) will do the job and not cost anything apart from a little time. Make a bootable memory stick (Macrium has a wizard for this) so you can access your image in the event that at some time in the future Windows doesn't load

3 You could try using a Win10 compatible USB wireless adapter (just plugs into a USB port) try and borrow one as although they are not expensive ( a few pounds or dollars) you might not actually need it! Here's an example of a mid price version (although different makes/models are available at a quarter of the price upwards.

http://www.currys.co...0160828090357:s

4 Download and run in RAM only, (don't install) the latest version of Ubuntu, boot into Ubuntu and it will probably load the load the correct drivers for you.... give it a good try out and when you reboot Ubuntu will be gone and you will be back to Windows.(If Ubuntu allows both Ethernet and Wireless Internet access then you have proved that your hardware is OK)

http://releases.ubuntu.com/16.04/

Hope these thoughts help

regards

paws

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Thanks paws for your advice - I need all I can get.

I do have a disc image but it failed. The Lenovo boots OK as I use it a lot now to transfer my many VHS tapes to an external drive.

Any stuff I want to save is in the cloud and available on this PC and other gadgets so I'm all right there.

I do have a USB adaptor from years ago when on XP so probably won't work? In the past I have made many Linux Distro ISO files to try them out on my first XP PC but not a single one worked - I'm jinxed with Ubuntu.

By the way why didn't the adaptor driver Win 10 updates install leaving my original ones installed? Is there a clue here? There was no message that updates failed.

Now I'll check out those links...

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

I do have a Win 10 recovery drive but as my problem is with the adaptors will that address them? Please advise.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Yes the Reset the PC (if this works on laptops I assume) seems a good option at this stage to try. It came with Win 7 so I'd be happy with that.  I think I can go back to Win 10 freely later can't I?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,770 posts

Hello Plutox,

A reset was not suggested by paws;

1 Perform a Windows 10 Refresh (from within Windows) and see if this fixes it... a Refresh should not affect your data files see link below for information on applications Programmes etc., but as always, make sure your back ups are checked and double checked and you are sure they include everything you need and are reproducible and that you have at least one extra copy kept safe offsite on removable media.

Regarding going back to Windows 7, couple of things to consider, if the problem is hardware related reverting back to Windows 7 will not fix things, a refresh will not take long, rolling back will require one of the following, a working Windows 7 recovery partition, Windows 7 on disk/usb or a Windows old folder on the C: drive that is less than 28 days old.