Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lenovo X201 Tablet no longer will connect...

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Oh yes it was 'refresh' which I suppose is reset lite.

Going to 'Recovery' I get the option of Win 7 (which I do have on my Z partition) and was tempted but thought of all the updates needed and so cancelled it.

If Windows is right (but only says 'might') and the problem is adaptor drivers then yes it won't fix that. So I'll go for a refresh.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Canned text for carrying out a Windows 10 refresh;

See if the refresh guide here helps any or alternatively make a note of my steps below;

A: The refresh option does not delete your personal data but may remove certain apps such as Chrome etc, I do however always recommend that folk back up any important data before carrying out a refresh or making any significant changes to the computers software or hardware.

1: Right click on the notifications icon, bottom right on the task bar then click on Open Action Centre.

2: Click on the All settings tab.

3: Click on the Update & Security tab.

4: Click on the Recovery tab to the left.

5: Click on the Get started tab.

6: Click on the Keep my files option.

7: Follow any on screen messages.

8: Post back with an update for us.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

phillpower2 -thanks.  Just before starting up this PC I went to refresh the Lenovo (the same pattern as yours, which  gave me a list of apps that would be deleted altho can be installed later but I was shocked to see how many there were including a wireless driver update that I downloaded but never appeared in Device Manager for some reason. .

Anyway there's one app I am now using to transfer many, many of my VHS tapes (taking weeks possibly) to external drive that I won't be able to download if the laptop remains inoperable - unless I can use the PC to transfer it over. The PC itself is not good enough to use for the video quality. Of course a number of apps are useless without internet access but many are not.

Quite frankly to go thru all that refresh on the tiny possibility of it doing any good precludes me doing it at the moment. I'll leave that attempt till a more appropriate time and when I am refreshed from not spending so much time on it.

So to all my responders I thank you for your generous advice, suggestions and your time on my regard.  Very much appreciated.

Edited by Plutox, 28 August 2016 - 04:30 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Plutox,

I was shocked to see how many there were including a wireless driver update that I downloaded but never appeared in Device Manager for some reason. .

Not all drivers are self extracting and need to be installed manually, if the driver concerned is the correct one for your device see if you are able to install it yourself.

Quite frankly to go thru all that refresh on the tiny possibility of it doing any good precludes me doing it at the moment. 

Fully understand and respect your decision, at this point a wireless USB dongle sounds like your best option, one of us will be around if you decide to continue with any troubleshooting.

You are most welcome btw  :)