I needed to use my computer at a hotel I am staying at, but I forgot the charger that comes with it. I had this old "universal charger" that you can switch the settings on. Here's where things get a bit more complex:
My computer requires the following for power (it is a Toshiba Sattelite) - DC 19V 2.37A. This universal charger can only go to 12V, 500mA (which is about 0.5 A, right?). Because of how much lower in both voltage and amperage the universal charger was, I figured that there wasn't much of a risk, and that the computer probably just wouldn't charge much.
When I plugged it in, the battery didn't seem to do anything (I was at 19%). I removed it quickly so no damage would be done, but then I looked down, and the battery level icon dropped to 0, and the computer instantly shut down. It will not turn back on. Tomorrow I am going to get a replacement charger and hope that it turns on.
I am so worried that all of my data will be lost. Replacing the battery is one thing, but could there have been any damage done to my hard drive? What if the polarity on the charger was wrong?
Is it possible that the computer just powered down due to a safety feature? The voltage and amperage was so much lower than what it should be for this computer, so I know that I didn't overload it.
Any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated. I am extremely concerned.