Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad laptop LCD - bad backlight or inverter? (Resolved).

Dell Inspiron E1505 ccfl backlight florescent inverter fluorescent laptop

Best Answer phillpower2 , 31 August 2016 - 01:47 AM

Hello High_Tech_Redneck, As you can see the images in the background on the screen it suggests that the screen and video cable are ok and that the problem is with the backlight, I would recomm... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

High_Tech_Redneck

High_Tech_Redneck

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

I'm preparing to replace the built-in monitor's lcd panel on a Dell Inspiron E1505. It appears the failure is likely the backlight, rather than the inverter, but there are a couple symptoms that it's exhibited that I did not find much about when researching:

From what I understand, pink - flickering - dim, etc. indicate a failing backlight, while hissing sound typically is the inverter.

When it first started, it flickered pink for a few minutes, light went completely dark - with picture still on screen. That would sound like the backlight.

Here are the two interesting things:

-- Whenever it would flicker, it would also hiss. Can a flickering backlight *cause* the inverter to hiss?

-- If the computer is completely powered off for at least several months, then sometimes the LCD will display for a few hours (still dim pink). After a while it will go back to a momentary flash, if at all, when first starting/ waking computer. (Then no light, but picture can be seen with flashlight.)

Do those symptoms also seem normal for a failing backlight? And that it's likely not just the inverter?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello High_Tech_Redneck,

From what I understand, pink - flickering - dim, etc. indicate a failing backlight

Correct and when replacing the backlight it is best practice to also replace the inverter, you should be able to obtain both for around $20 and at around $5 it really is not worth not replacing the inverter, it would fail at some point and possibly in the near future so avoid the time and trouble of dismantling the notebook again by replacing both now.

Hope this answers your question sufficiently  :)

High_Tech_Redneck

High_Tech_Redneck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Thanks. That makes me think more about replacing the actual backlight, rather than the lcd panel. $25 would beat ~ $50 for a new panel.

Just realized something...new panel wouldn't necessarily come with an inverter, would it?

The lcd itself was last replaced in 2009 (original one had a defect). Should it be good to go, or any chance it would be better to replace entire panel, vs. just backlight and inverter?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello High_Tech_Redneck,

As you can see the images in the background on the screen it suggests that the screen and video cable are ok and that the problem is with the backlight, I would recommend that you connect the notebook to an external display to see if the image on that screen was ok before ordering any new parts.

A new panel will come with an inverter (example here) your call on whether or not you would rather have a whole new screen I`m afraid.

High_Tech_Redneck

High_Tech_Redneck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Thanks. Yep, external output is still fine, picture fine on screen, etc. Will research and see what looks good, but now I've got some extra info/ ideas.

Thanks for the quick responses and helpful info. Aloha!

Edited by High_Tech_Redneck, 31 August 2016 - 03:25 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are most welcome High_Tech_Redneck, glad we could help  :)