Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to install programs

• Please log in to reply

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

"net start trusted installer" command yielded:

A system error orrcured

System error 1067 had occurred.

The process has terminated unexpectedly.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Perhaps the trusted installer is disabled in services, lets look in services.

Press start, in the search box type

services.msc

In the long list of services
Locate Windows Modules Installer observe his current status and open to make changes.
From General tab you can Start/Stop and change the Windows Modules Installer.
To finish press ok button and close Services window

See if you can start / stop it from there.

Set its startup type to Manual.

http://computerstepb...er_service.html

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Located the Windows Mod Installer, but i couldn't Start/Stop it. The proces started, then Got:

Windows could not start the Windows Modules Installer service on Local Computer.

Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Interesting and it explains why somethings are not working like installing programs. I'm guessing we have a windows registry issue with possible corruption.

"Windows could not start the Windows Modules Installer service on Local Computer."

Let me look into that error, but to be honest I'm starting to feel you might be better off in the hands of a more experienced person on this issue.

Personally I'd reinstall windows or a factory restore, or at least a repair from a windows 7 disc. We may have other glitches that we are unaware of.

Do you have a windows 7 disc ?

Edit:

What about Malware, do you have any Malware related issues pop ups anything like that ?

Has Malware been recently removed ?

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Haven't had any malware recently, but issues in the past. Nothing severe, but have consulted G2G in the past and I keep a core of clean-up programs on the desktop (Malwarebytes, Adware cleaner). Norton is always installed and enabled.

I don't know if I have the install disk for Windows 7. Have to check.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Hello,

Might try a system restore from safe mode, never know.

Boot the computer to safe mode and try a system restore the ideal restore would be a point before the problem happened. I'd go back is far as you can depending how many restore points we have. After restore try to start windows installer from services.

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Sorry for the delayed response.

I don't think doing a system restore back over a year is feasible. There's too much on this computer I stand to lose for that :/

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
You can undo a system restore if you were unsatisfied with the results, but if the problem has been happening this long then doing a restore point is most likely not going to work.

I'm running out of ideas.

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

If I am able to locate the windows install disk (I'm not sure if one was included with this comp's purchase) or even another one, will all my other files remain intact? I have a lot on here for school and work, and I can't lose anything.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

I have a lot on here for school and work, and I can't lose anything.

Those files should be backed up, we already have what looks like possible registry / file corruption. Then there's some Malware out there now that will encrypt all your files and there's no fix. You have important files for school an work you have got to back these up. I think that's the first order of business for you.

I doubt you received a windows disc with the purchase of the computer. You probably have a recovery partition on the hard drive and that would restore the computer to factory settings and wipe all your files in the process.

I'm not a back up person as I don't keep any important files on my computer, I have a few backed up to a flash drive that's it.

Most of the techs here recommend Macrium Reflect. Macrium Reflec creates a disc image of your disc.

A disk image contains everything on your disk, nothing missed and no danger of incomplete backups.

http://www.macrium.com/

With all these important files I'm somewhat concerned providing any more instruction, especially that I see possible registry / file corruption now.

At this time I think it's prudent to take the time read the link, and take action on the back up / image. I don't guide users on a repair installs as I'm not qualified, but I'm sure the first recommendations before taking on the task is to back up your files, even though a repair install keeps your files intact, that being said things go wrong all the time.

Back your files create an image, as I said the latest malware is a really bad one it locks your files and there's no fix none.

These would be the instructions for a repair install
http://www.sevenforu...ir-install.html

Advertisements

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I will look into this Zep. At some point I will have to essentially do a cost / benefit of this, as it might take a lot of work just to be able to install some programs. I was able to install a required course program on my wife's computer, so I can get by. Most of the functionality of my computer is sufficient, so i think I just have to bide my time until I can afford a Mac. I suppose the question is, can i deal with this comp's shortcomings for as long as it will take for me to afford a new computer?

Lol, Time will tell....

If theres any update, Ill let you know. Thanks for your help Zep :)