Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 hard drive failing (I think)

Best Answer RKinner , 01 September 2016 - 06:41 AM

Your current drive is:Samsung SpinPoint ST750LM022 750GB SATA/300 5400RPM 8MB 2.5" Hard Drive'  Get a replacement drive of the same size or bigger.  Don't get another Seagate.  ... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Established301

Established301

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

What should I do, do I need to save windows 10 in order to use it without purchasing a copy if the drive fails? 

Im just trying to gather my thoughts here and figure out what I have to do...

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture pending sector.PNG
  • Capture info g.PNG

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Don't wait for it to fail completely.  Clone the drive now.

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Don't wait for it to fail completely.  Clone the drive now.

OK how do I do this?  how much time do you think I have here!

Edited by Established301, 31 August 2016 - 11:00 PM.

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Well im currently creating a recovery drive via usb 

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Do you have an external hard drive to back it up?

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

I have a external free agent goflex drive 1TB but it has other data. Not sure how I backup and if I do backup, and can, is there a way to do so without removing the external drives current data that is on it?

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Wow this looks bad huh?

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture report.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
✓  Best Answer

Your current drive is:

Samsung SpinPoint ST750LM022 750GB SATA/300 5400RPM 8MB 2.5" Hard Drive'

Get a replacement drive of the same size or bigger.  Don't get another Seagate.  Their quality has really gone down hill.  Ideally get a Western Digital Black.

Amazon has one:

WD Black 750GB Performance Mobile Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 16MB Cache 9.5 MM 2.5 Inch - WD7500BPKX for $56.57

This is actually faster with a bigger cache and a better waranty.

and a USB to SATA adapter 

Amazon has lots.  Here is one for $12

StarTech USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable w/ UASP - SATA to USB 3.0 Converter for SSD/HDD - Hard Drive Adapter Cable

and clone the drive.  You can use the program from your new hard drive or even from Seagate or you can use one of the free ones:

Some of them require you to boot from a CD or USB drive (it's faster that way but others like aomei can clone from within windows.

You plug the new drive into the usb adapter and the adapter into your PC's USB jack.  Run the cloning software.  (Make sure you know the source drive is the old drive and the destination is the new.)
If the cloning software complains it can't read a sector tell it to skip it that's probably one of your bad sectors.)
Once the cloning software finishes you shut it down, use a small Phillips screw driver to remove the 2 screws that hold the cover of the drive, remove the drive (may be 2 more screws).  Often the drive is in a carrier so you need to remove 4 more screws.  Keep the screws separate since they may be different sizes.  Remove the old drive, install the new.  Boot up and do a disk check and check the S.M.A.R.T

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Your current drive is:

Samsung SpinPoint ST750LM022 750GB SATA/300 5400RPM 8MB 2.5" Hard Drive'

Get a replacement drive of the same size or bigger.  Don't get another Seagate.  Their quality has really gone down hill.  Ideally get a Western Digital Black.

Amazon has one:

WD Black 750GB Performance Mobile Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 16MB Cache 9.5 MM 2.5 Inch - WD7500BPKX for $56.57

This is actually faster with a bigger cache and a better waranty.

and a USB to SATA adapter 

Amazon has lots.  Here is one for $12

StarTech USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable w/ UASP - SATA to USB 3.0 Converter for SSD/HDD - Hard Drive Adapter Cable

and clone the drive.  You can use the program from your new hard drive or even from Seagate or you can use one of the free ones:

Some of them require you to boot from a CD or USB drive (it's faster that way but others like aomei can clone from within windows.

You plug the new drive into the usb adapter and the adapter into your PC's USB jack.  Run the cloning software.  (Make sure you know the source drive is the old drive and the destination is the new.)
If the cloning software complains it can't read a sector tell it to skip it that's probably one of your bad sectors.)
Once the cloning software finishes you shut it down, use a small Phillips screw driver to remove the 2 screws that hold the cover of the drive, remove the drive (may be 2 more screws).  Often the drive is in a carrier so you need to remove 4 more screws.  Keep the screws separate since they may be different sizes.  Remove the old drive, install the new.  Boot up and do a disk check and check the S.M.A.R.T

Thank you lots! really appreciate your advice. One question: how much longer do you think this current drive would last like this? will it fail sooner/later? or totally random? i like that drive only 56 dollars! ill update if and when this gets fixed and post back. Thanks for the advice, everyone here.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

No way to tell how long it will last.  I wouldn't wait.  Much easier to clone than to install windows & get all fo the updates.

Advertisements

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Alright thanks Expert.

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Ordered the drive, hope it fits. I also hope the cable you mentioned "StarTech USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable w/ UASP - SATA to USB 3.0 Converter for SSD/HDD - Hard Drive Adapter Cable" isnt required for me to replace my hard drive with this new one: https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B00DSUTX3O

Will update I guess if it works.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

If you want to clone the old drive to the new you will need a USB to 2.5 SATA adapter.  If you have the Win 10 DVD or the back up DVD's and are going to start from scratch then you won't need the adapter but you will probably have a lot of Windows Updates to download and install..

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

If you want to clone the old drive to the new you will need a USB to 2.5 SATA adapter.  If you have the Win 10 DVD or the back up DVD's and are going to start from scratch then you won't need the adapter but you will probably have a lot of Windows Updates to download and install..

Understood thanks lots.

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Now I just have to wait on the adapter to arrive!

hk7lJEZ.jpg