Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 hard drive failing (I think)

Best Answer RKinner , 01 September 2016 - 06:41 AM

Your current drive is:Samsung SpinPoint ST750LM022 750GB SATA/300 5400RPM 8MB 2.5" Hard Drive'  Get a replacement drive of the same size or bigger.  Don't get another Seagate.  ... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

I have a problem I ran AOMEI disk clone and selected sector by sector ect. but the cloning took less than 1 minute! so im not convinced it worked. And then windows explorer popup said "you need to format yada yada disk before.."   now im just confused and dont know what to do.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Which disk is it saying you need to format?  Hopefully the new one.  Does the disk have a drive letter in Explorer?  

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Which disk is it saying you need to format?  Hopefully the new one.  Does the disk have a drive letter in Explorer?  

I see a few disks

Attached Thumbnails

• ddsfsdfdsf.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Did AOMEI warn you that there was data on the target disk?  Check the properties on each disk and see if the sizes match

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

sdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsd.PNG

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Capture ease.PNG

Ps: in management there is an option "convert to dynamic" not sure if that is something I should do.

Edited by Established301, 29 September 2016 - 11:45 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

It didn't work.  A cloned drive would have the same partitions as the original.  Also since this is Windows 10 it can (and does) have more than the 4 partitions that MBR allows.  Expect the problem is that the new drive has an MBR and not a GPT.  Right click on the Disk 1 in Disk Management and it should have an option to Convert to GPT.  Once that is done I expect the cloning will work better.  That's probably the real reason that Macrium didn't work.

Bed time for me.

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

That option is grayed out

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

OK goodnight and thank you for all the help really appreciate it   :spoton:

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

sdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsd.PNG

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Try deleting all of the partitions on Disk 1 first.  That may ungray the convert option.

It should also be possible to use diskpart from an elevated command prompt:

https://technet.micr...1(v=ws.11).aspx

AOMEI is supposed to work with GPT disks so once you get the mbr changed to GPT try to clone again.

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Capture mbr or.PNG but when I right click it shows me this dropdown not "convert to GPT"

Im still just all over the place now. Ive tried multiple clone softwares and im not even aware if I have to or can, return my new drive to normal like when I got it again. And furthermore, I dont even remember how it showed up and what it appeared as in explorer before I altered it. Some have told me format = Dont do it. But wouldn't formating it return it to normal? should I really be cloning it again and again without undoing the previous work? what clone software should I proceed with now if any

Edited by Established301, 30 September 2016 - 06:14 PM.

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

I deleted all partitions via command prompt as the manager was not giving me the option. Now I right click and it says "convert to mbr" does that mean its already gpt? 

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Oh you were right, macrium destination was MBR and source was GPT on the failed attempt log. Now they are both GPT. Attempting macrium clone again.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

From the looks of the picture it is now GPT so not surprising that the option now says to Convert to MBR.

It's not a good clone tho.  The partitions should line up with the source when you get it right.