Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 hard drive failing (I think)

Best Answer RKinner , 01 September 2016 - 06:41 AM

Your current drive is:Samsung SpinPoint ST750LM022 750GB SATA/300 5400RPM 8MB 2.5" Hard Drive'  Get a replacement drive of the same size or bigger.  Don't get another Seagate.  ... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Yes that is why I deleted all partitions and it showed up GPT and everything, just finished on macrium and still failed "clone failed 12-32" ..........

Advertisements

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Is their anything I could do with this drive at this point? I just want this to end.The drive also shows "400+ reallocated sectors" caution in crystal disk. Did I seriously just damage this drive too...? 

Edited by Established301, 30 September 2016 - 08:34 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

You didn't break it.  If it has 400 reallocated sectors then you got a bad drive and need to send it back and get a new one.

What does disk management say now?  Does it show the same partitions as the source?

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Capture 4.PNG Capture 3.PNG Capture 2.PNG

Current state pictures

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Yep it's bad.  Don't think it's anything you did unless you dropped it.  Can't see the G-sense Error Rate or whatever it is called on yours.  Return it!

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

This is scaring me off hard drives in general! the heck caused it to fail. Do you think that its possible the data on my current "Failing" hard drive could have instigated this fail? hopefully amazon has a return policy. Ill check over the weekend.

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Any explanation I could rationalize with would help my mental status

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Amazon has a very good return policy but it's limited to 30 days or so so go on Amazon and start the return process immediately..  Western Digital will replace it Amazon's time limit has expired.

You just got a bad drive.  Your data did not cause this.  The first thing you should do when you get a new drive is look at the SMART info.  

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

time limit expired? I will try and return it. What would my next move be, buy another? 

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Just have them replace it.  Amazon is good about replacements.  They will usually ship the replacement before they get the bad one back.

Advertisements

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Got replacement. Any recommendations on my next move? I dont want to make another mistake.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I'd check to see if the SMART looks good.  Then I would use AOMEI to clone it since we know it can do the newer format.

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

You sure I shouldnt do a non clone of some kind to be safe? Im worried cloning this bad drive might be causing complications with the new on

Edited by Established301, 09 October 2016 - 04:01 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I don't think the old drive was the problem.  It can't cause a drive to replace sectors.  That's just a sign of a bad drive.

Established301

Established301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

So just plug it in and start the process? No needing to format or anything before hand?