Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Was Infected :( [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Good Afternoon,

Recently my PC got infected by malware this time it doesn't look good. The two things were MCPKpr I think and my home page changed to start123go. I managed to get rid of it, restarted all was good.

Until...

It was taking an awfully long time to get to the desktop it eventually did, however it now says this:

A Windows Service Could Not Connect yadda yadda yadda and that I could not log in normally I couldn't open any program.

So I decided to run System Restore and went to do something else while I was waiting. Bad choice when I came back it said "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this"

So now i'm greeted by the 0xc000000e error. Please Help! :(

Edited by EmishOrc, 31 August 2016 - 11:01 PM.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Robert,

Which operating system is installed? You may have to tweak these instructions to meet your needs, but I know you are capable of doing that. Unfortunately I am late for work. See if you do the following and get me the log requested and I'll be back around 4pm my time.

You will need a USB Flash drive and a working computer to follow the instructions below.

On a working computer:

For x32 (x86) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected/problem PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Click on Repair your computer.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.
On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

• Select Command Prompt

Next:
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select Computer and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the flash drive. Please copy and paste this log in your Topic.

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Just reinstalling 7 atm. I had to backup data so....

I never seen System Restore act strange in ages I have no clue. I'll update later. Looks like Trend Micro wasn't doing it's job at all.

PS: Should I install adblocker + mbam to prevent this from happening again?

PS: Sorry about the log though...

Edited by EmishOrc, 01 September 2016 - 05:58 AM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Robert!

Just reinstalling 7 atm.

Sorry about the log though...

You're no fun! :rofl:

No AV is 100% fail proof, so you can't really blame it on Trend Micro. I'm an Avast girl myself. Computer safety starts with the user and their online habits/behaviors.

Sure! Installing Adblock plus and MBAM is the first things I do to personalize my computers/browser after reinstalling. If you have a habit of unsafe surfing, it wouldn't hurt to go Pro. Might cost a few bucks but sure is cheaper than losing files that are not replaceable.

Cryptoprevent is another good choice to download and install to protect against file encrypting ransomeware.

Make sure to get all the Windows and 3rd party software updates installed. Let me know if need more help or have questions. I'm here.. :)

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Sure no problems :)

​You're no fun! :rofl:

I know right? :D :pepsi: 

Just having my morning cup of tea :)

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
That's right. It's tomorrow in your world isn't it? How's the computer coming along? I'll be turning out the lights in an hour or so. 5am comes too fast.

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

All good :)

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Ok. I'll leave the topic open for a couple more days just in case. :)

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.