Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Touchpad freezes for 3-4 secs after typing

• Please log in to reply

dimitris

dimitris

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hi,

I have vista business on a dell xps m1330, and since around a month ago the touchpad freezes for a few seconds after I type text. It's usually 3-4 secs, sometimes more.

Here's my Speccy

http://speccy.pirifo...3PrvhfdzM2XIRej

Thank you,

Dimitris

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Dimitris,

Do you have a USB keyboard that you can try to see if the problem is the same, if it is not it may suggest a hardware problem if it is the same it could be software.

Three things of note in Speccy, one may be related to the problem while the other two are more a security problem which I will address first;

1: Windows needs updating, it being out of date puts you at risk of malware attack.

2: You are using Chrome which no longer supports Vista by providing updates or security fixes, see here this again puts you at risk of malware attack, uninstall Chrome and install Firefox or Opera.

3: You only have 2GB of RAM and something is using an awful lot of it;

Physical Memory
Memory Usage: 61 %
Total Physical: 1.99 GB
Available Physical: 779 MB
Total Virtual: 4.22 GB
Available Virtual: 2.00 GB

The high memory usage could be behind the lag, we should have a better idea of this after you let us know the outcome of trying a USB type keyboard with the notebook.

dimitris

dimitris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Thank you, I tried an external keyboard and and the problem disappeared. A couple of months ago I opened my laptop (a dell xps m1330) in order to replace the backcover of the screen which was broken.

Regarding upgrading to windows (say 7 or 10) do you think it's worth to spend the money (my laptop is of 2008)

I will install opera.

Can I do something about the memory usage?

Thank you again.

Dimitris

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

The touch pad ribbon may be loose or damaged, are you also using a USB mouse.

Regarding upgrading to Windows 7 or 10, Dell does not provide drivers for any OS later than Vista, this does not mean that neither Windows 7 or 10 will run on the notebook, Windows 7 uses many of the earlier Vista drivers and so should be ok but Dell do advise the following guidance for your notebook;

Product not tested for Windows 10 upgrade

Dell is not testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for this product. If you choose to upgrade, some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected, see here

Opera info acknowledged :thumbsup:

You can check Task Manager to see what is using your RAM, let us know what you find.

You are welcome btw  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not heard back from you dimitris, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

dimitris

dimitris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hi and sorry for the delay (waited for Saturday to do this thing) so I opened my laptop and I checked the keyboard ribbon (since I wasn't sure which is the touchpad ribbon). Things seem to be working fine so far,  no delays..so far...except one instance...I 'll check it for a few days and I 'll let you know.

Regarding the CPU usage, I just checked task manager and sorted by CPU usage, there seem just two opera.exe operations taking up a range of 1-15% each...which is ok right? Should I increase RAM to 4gb nevertheless you think? If yes does this look  right? http://eu.crucial.co...-m1330/CT758813

Thanks again

D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No worries Dimitris, thank you for getting back to us  :thumbsup:

From your update it would seem that there was a loose ribbon that you have now corrected, fingers crossed  :)

Browsers do use a lot of resources as they tend to have multiple processes running all at the same time, would you like us to take a look at your CPU usage.

Your computer only has two memory slots and both are presently populated with 1GB sticks of 333MHz RAM, if you remove one of the 1GB sticks and add the 2GB stick of Crucial RAM that will clock back to the slower 333MHz speed of the remaining 1GB stick of Hyundai RAM while only gaining a further 1GB of memory, you would benefit far more from replacing both 1GB sticks with 2 Xs 2GB sticks of the DDR2-800 from Crucial.

You are welcome btw  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not heard back from you dimitris, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Can you also update your other thread for us please.

dimitris

dimitris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hi and sorry for the delay again!

The problem with the lag after typing persists. Perhaps it has to do with replacing the two memory sticks? which would be in the vicinity of 70euros which I am not sure if it's worth. I just may have to live with it-(

Yes I would very much like you to take a look at my CPU usage.

Thank you again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Perhaps it has to do with replacing the two memory sticks? which would be in the vicinity of 70euros which I am not sure if it's worth. I just may have to live with it-(

If the situation is the same for the computer in your other thread here can you post the same info there for us so that the thread is not left hanging, thanks.

To check the CPU usage;

Download Process Explorer which you can obtain from here

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run as Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK

Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header to arrange things by CPU usage, this will put the services with the highest CPU usage at the top of the log. 

Wait a minimum of a minute then grab a screenshot and attach it to your next reply for us

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.