Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

eBay error "The web address you entered could not be found"

• Please log in to reply

Manalto

Manalto

• Pip
  • 3 posts

When searching for some items on eBay, the listings show briefly (3 seconds) and then "The web address..." error message page appears. Below that message is "You were trying to go to http://pics/"

Please help me resolve.

Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:    Manalto,

Your link is not working, please grab and attach a screenshot using the method below;

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Manalto

Manalto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks for the welcome and the instructions for making a screen shot.

However, I gave the content of the error message in my question; a screen shot will provide no new information. 

I would like to resolve the issue of the browser finding a site (it's not only eBay), lingering for a few seconds, and then going to the error message "The web address you entered could not be found" and the false information that I was trying to go to a pics site.

Any suggestions on how to correct this? Thank you!

It's a DNS error. If I use another browser, the error doesn't occur. I have cleared my browser history, but the problem persists.  What am I missing?

Edited by Manalto, 03 September 2016 - 05:15 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Below that message is "You were trying to go to http://pics/"

Sorry, misinterpreted the above as an external link to an upload site.

1.Press the Windows key then type in cmd (do not press enter)

2.In the search results that come up, right click “cmd” and run as administrator, when the screen flashes and asks for permission, accept it.
3.In the command prompt type in ipconfig /flushdns (or right click and paste it to the command prompt) then press Enter.

You should then see a dialog box saying successfully flushed resolver cache, if so you are done, post back with an update.

You are welcome btw  :)

Manalto

Manalto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

In Vista, the Windows key just expands the Start menu. There is no box to type cmd in.

ETA: I successfully flushed the DNS cache

Click on "Start"

"Programs"

"Accessories"

Right-click "Command Prompt"

"Run as Administrator"

ipconfit/flushdns

Enter

Unfortunately, the problem persists. Grrrrrr....

Any thoughts?

Edited by Manalto, 04 September 2016 - 03:57 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Are you are aware that Vista is no longer supported by Chrome, it may still work of sorts but there will be no more fixes or security updates released for it, see here

If not a problem with Chrome it could be a security issue with your AV software or a plug in, if you really want to continue using Chrome you could try uninstalling and then reinstalling it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you Manalto, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.