Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card Trouble, Help. (Resolved).

Graphics Radeon Windows 7 OS Install ASUS Display Name

Best Answer phillpower2 , 04 September 2016 - 01:51 PM

Hello Charlie Needs, Not out of the woods yet but that is the first thing that we often ask when members have problems after a clean install. When possible you should always download... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Charlie Needs

Charlie Needs

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Ok, guys and gals,

I have an old ASUS desktop (Given to me):

AMD Phenom II X6 1045T Processor 2.70GHz

8.00 GB RAM

64 bit OS

Now, earlier today, My PCI card was shown in the device manager as an:

AMD Radeon HD 5450 with 1GB RAM

The machine was also running Windows 7 Home premium

I noticed that it had some malware and registry errors, so rather than going through the numbers and repairing the corrupted software, I thought that I would just install Windows 7 Ultimate.

So I did.

Rather than upgrading, I did a clean install.

When it booted back up, obviously there was a graphics problem.

Mainly because the install wiped out the drivers for the PCI card.

Prepared for this, I went to nab the drivers from the AMD site, but I forgot the exact type of card.

So i went to the device manager to look again, and this time it showed the card as an:

AMD 760G (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1)

Which is not the card that it listed before.

So I downloaded the nearest driver I could find which was:

Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta 313 MB Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta

Obviously that did me no good, as nothing changed.

I right-clicked on the desktop and clicked on the AMD logo, only to get an error message about No AMD graphics driver is installed...

I'm sure it's in the Windows.old folder, but I haven't a clue where. (It's been like 15 years since I've fudged around with PCs, rebuilds, etc.)

A twist to all of this is that my HDMI cord is going from the PCI graphics card to the monitor, so if the computer is only using/recognizing the IGCard, how am I getting feed through the PCI card?

Oh, and I went to the BIOS and changed the boot to PCI first, only to have the CPU default it back to the IG.

So, HERE'S WHAT I THINK...and tell me if i'm wrong by providing the solution.

I think I should have removed the PCI card before the clean OS install.

I should have removed the [bleep] thing, plugged the HDMI cord into the onboard slot, did the OS install, updated what i needed to update, then installed the card as if it were new (going to AMD site and grabbing the drivers).

Is that what I should have done?

Also, the AMD site classed the card under "legacy", so that Crimson Beta Edition was all they had for it.

What I'd prefer is a setup application with the proper driver and utility built in. Don't know where to find that either....without going through tons of clickbait.

So. Any suggestions and/or solutions?

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

:welcome:    Charlie Needs,

After the clean install of Windows 7 did you reinstall the chipset drivers for the MB.

Charlie Needs

Charlie Needs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

phillpower2,

Good grief. Simplest solution, right?

No, I didn't think to. It was late and I'm old now. I used a Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade CD, selected Custom (advanced), and installed it as a new copy of Windows. Entered the product key when prompted, set up the machine normally, and then noticed the issue. Didn't put 2 and 2 together until I read your post.

This is what happens when you get older, you forget the simplest crap.

So now, onto finding all the drivers for my machine...which was a custom build, so.

Used CPU-Z, pulled up Mainboard and got:

Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer INC

Model: CG1330 Rev X.0x

Chipset: AMD  780G  Rev. 00

Southbridge: AMD  SB700 Rev. 00

LPCIO: ITE  IT8712

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc.

Version: 0403

Date: 06/21/2010

Graphic Interface:

Version: PCI-Express

Link Width: x16   Max. Supported: x16

So, I guess I'll go to nodevice and find the drivers. Any suggestion on the order of the installs?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello Charlie Needs,

Not out of the woods yet but that is the first thing that we often ask when members have problems after a clean install.

When possible you should always download the drivers from the MB manufacturers site, using the info provided two boards came up, both using different chipset drivers, see here and here if me I would take the side off of the case to confirm which board you have.

Couple of other pointers regarding installing drivers, you may get away with just installing the chipset drivers and downloading/saving drivers to the desktop then installing them in Safe Mode will often make for a trouble free install.

For your add on video card, AMD have an auto detect tool, give it a try when you are ready, see here

Charlie Needs

Charlie Needs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thank you Phillpower2,

Installing the chipset drivers from the ASUS website directly worked. As soon as they installed I was able to see the Radeon card.

The drivers also came in a utility that I could easily manage.

Afterwards, I was able to tweak the display, speed, and 3D to my liking.

It wasn't too much grief. Just a brain fart, really.

Thanks for your help!

I'll mark this solved.

:)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

You are most welcome Charlie Needs and thank you for letting us know that the issue was now resolved  :thumbsup: