Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting help-!

• Please log in to reply

Polizei

Polizei

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
hello, I hope this topic isn't beaten to death but I'm new here. I have been trying to reformat my hard drive and when I put the cd in and boot off of it, i get to the setup screen and press enter, then it tells me i have no hard disks installed or they are not working! That's impossible as I am talking to you right now using my computer. I dont know why it's telling me this and if anyone can help, please let me know!

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
before you reformat - are you sure you want to lose everything?
this is a malware site. if you are infested, why not submit a HJT log and let the experts remove the demons?
do not reformat until absolutely necessary. in the mean time, back up all of your "I can't live without these files".

for those casual readers: back up all of your "I can't live without these files", now.

Polizei

Polizei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yes I am sure. It is not that because I have a virus, but because I am missing registry files and have too many unneaded files on my computer. If you have any idea why it won't let me continue the installation let me know. Basically, instead of continuing the installation, it says that I have no hard drives installed? This should make more sense, as what I said before was rushed.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
you are running xp and when you try to reformat you say

then it tells me i have no hard disks installed or they are not working!

do you have a legal copy of MS XP?

Polizei

Polizei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yes, I bought it last year when I built the computer.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

That's impossible as I am talking to you right now using my computer.

I'm inclined to agree. I'm out of ideas. Anyone else have an idea?

Polizei

Polizei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
heh, I know, weird huh... I think I remember having a similar problem when I first tryed to install it, but I can't remember what I did to fix it...

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
while we are waiting - please give the exact details of what you tried and the exact messages which were displayed. the error messages are very important, but don't skimp on the details of what you attempted.

Polizei

Polizei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK, fair enough. I put the Windows XP cd in. I restarted my computer and set the BIOS to boot of the cd-rom. The computer rebooted. Now XP was loading all the drivers and when it finished I chose to continue the setup - Option 1 - install windows. Then an error prompted me to quit the setup stating - "Setup could not continue. No hard disks deteced. Please make sure that they are connected or properly powered on."

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
I've only done one xp install and it was over a win98. so please excuse the following suggestion, which most likely won't work. let's try to format while running xp(I know, it shouldn't run, but it is an option in the menu).

if you are sure everything is backed up:
right click start, explore, right click the boot drive, left click format

please post results

Advertisements

Polizei

Polizei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
You think that will work? I'm sorta nervous about doing that..

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
format is the 1st step on an install. make sure you backup any info before starting.

I don't believe it will run since you are already running xp, but backup everything in case.

Polizei

Polizei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have nothing to back up

Polizei

Polizei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Didn't work :tazz:

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
I'm completely out of ideas, even bads ones. I must be missing something.

Thanks for hanging in there Polizei. If you think of anything that has been installed recently or anything new, please post.

Anyone out there have any suggestions???????