Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting help-!

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
are you running norton ghost or goback?

Advertisements

Polizei

Polizei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
No, just spybot and adaware.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
got a floppy drive on this rig? if so, download a windows 98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com

make a floppy and then run fdisk, and choose delete non dos partition....don;t delete it yet---I just want to know if it sees it

report back

Polizei

Polizei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Unfortunatly I dont have a floppy drive...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmmm, ok, download the ultimate bootdisk.

http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/

there are a crapload of tools on their that can be used for formatting your drive....I am incredulous on your issue though.....I just have to think you are running something that has altered the mbr for it to hide the partition from windows setup routine.

Use the appropriate tool on the ultimate bootdisk for your specific drive (or use the tool directly from the manufacturer if you still have your original cd)

Polizei

Polizei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
So your recommending i get one of the hard disk wipers?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, I am recommending you use the tool for your drive...for example, if you have a western digital drive, use the datalifeguard tool from the maker or on the ultimate bootdisk and see if that can delete the partition or format the drive--or at least see it.

This still sounds like you have goback installed---I see this all the time (not being able to see partition, but it all works). You sure you don't have it.?

Polizei

Polizei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Never heard of it. What is it?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
goback? goback is system restore on steroids.

made by norton/symantec.

Polizei

Polizei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
As far as I know, I dont have it. I wish i could just debug this. I have a hitachi, which tool do you recommend

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hitachi makes a tool called drive fitness test that will among other things perform a low level format -- I still find it hard to believe this is necessary.

Humor me....do a hijackthis log and post it.

Also, what kind of system is this? You built it? Or it came prebuilt?

Some systems have their own restore routines with an image on a hidden partition--this can result in the same problem as goback.

When you said you had a windows disk, I assumed you made this pc and just want to install it again, but if this cd was not installed on this system we could be looking at the situation I just described

Polizei

Polizei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:14:05 PM, on 6/16/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\winzip32.exe
C:\unzipped\hijackthis-1\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Windows
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasDtServ] gcasDtServ.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UserFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\npjpi142_06.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\npjpi142_06.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1073178366093
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, no evidence of norton stuff....you did not mention who made this machine

Polizei

Polizei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
myself.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Either of you ever play with diskpart.exe? I don't know that it will apply to this situation, but might be worth a look.

Start > Run diskpart.exe [OK] type help [Enter]

I've never messed with this one yet (a coward at heart when it comes to my machine), but it looks like there's some stuff in there that might be of interest to you. It's in the System32 folder.

wannabe1