Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a basic PC

building basic pc gaming

• Please log in to reply

AppleOrchard54

AppleOrchard54

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I am currently thinking of getting a gaming PC, however I don't have the funds to buy one I would like or even one of the basic ones, so I had a thought that should I buy a cheap normal PC, (about $150) and then add a graphics card and a better processor, can someone please say whether that would work, or whether I would be better off just buying a gaming PC full stop.

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

:welcome:   AppleOrchard54,

A $150 budget PC will be just that, a basic case, a poor quality under powered PSU and most likely a dated motherboard that will restrict any CPU upgrade options.

As for being "better off just buying a gaming PC full stop" that depends, you could build your own over time by starting off with a computer that has a CPU that also has graphics capabilities, this is later technology that has an upgrade path but it will initially cost you more than $150 and more like $500, we will help you with the latter should you decide to build your own gaming rig.