Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Access Internet Windows XP

Window XP

• Please log in to reply

jbljohn

jbljohn

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Trying to help my Mom who is 90 years old  and is still running Windows XP.  She does not handle change well and would not be able to learn Windows 8.  Until recently she could access the Internet through Internet Explorer. This is no longer the case.  I can access the internet through the modem on my wife's Laptop. 

I was wondering can I download Google Chrome or Foxfire onto a thumb drive and install on my Mother's computer to access the internet. 

Thanks in advance for any advice/help on this issue.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Hello,

You can try that but there maybe other issues with the XP computer besides Internet Explorer preventing it from connecting. Resetting Internet explore may help.

Here's the Firefox download
https://download.moz...=win&lang=en-US

Click link above choose save, and safe the file to your wife's desktop, then drag the firefox set up file from the desktop to the flash drive.

Insert the flash drive into moms computer and drag the file to her desktop and double click to install it.

Then try connecting.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Thanks so much! 

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Did it work ?

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

I live 90 miles away.  I have downloaded to thumb drive and will try to install on my next trip to Mom's in a few weeks.  I will advise of the outcome at that time.

Thanks again!

--Jay 

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Good enough.

If Firefox does not work, I would suggest then trying a system restore as that can fix a verity of issues.

Joe

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Thanks to everyone!  Had a Computer Geek look at Mom's system - he determined nothing could be done.  So I have shut off Mom's internet provider. 

Again I thank all of you!

--Jay