Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer randomly restarting I've tried everything!

• Please log in to reply

Samnas510

Samnas510

• Pip
  • 2 posts
so a friend of mine gave me his old computer in his garage. It randomly restarts. I thought it was a software issue but I did a fresh install of windows 10 and it still has the same issue. So then I thought it was maybe the hard drive so I replaced it and it still restarts. It even restarts randomly when im running Linux of a CD. Now I'm thinking it's either the PSU or Motherboard. I took apart the motherboard and completely disconnected everything then put it all back together and still no luck. I haven't replaced the PSU yet.. At first the computer was running for about an hour til it restarted. Then it did it more sooner. It would restart when I'd open a program or click the start button. It even does it when I don't touch the computer. Earlier it was so bad that it wouldn't make it to the windows loading screen it just kept restarting after the bios loaded when that happened I disconnected the power for the DVD drive and it worked for a good 10-15 minutes then the same issue happened again. Any suggestions on how to get this thing fixed?? Only reason I didn't replace the PSU is because im not sure if it's that or the motherboard causing the issue..

Advertisements

Samnas510

Samnas510

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I also replaced the memory on the computer. All the specs of the computer are on the link http://www.cnet.com/...e-series/specs/

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

:welcome:    Samnas510,

Common causes of such behaviour are a bad PSU, overheating, flaky RAM and a system short, you have tried different RAM so that makes that less likely as being the cause but only as long as it was the correct spec of RAM, you cannot test the PSU and finding a system short can be tricky so I would suggest that you try and rule out overheating first.

With the side off the case, restart the computer and check the behaviour of the CPU cooling fan, does it work as it should and how clean is the fan and heatsink.

If the CPU cooling fan works ok and is also dust free, swapping in a known good PSU is the next step.

Tip

Do not reply to your own OP as it may lead to your request for help being overlooked, staff and members who assist on the forums will always check out a topic that has not received any replies to see if they are able to help, if you reply to your own OP it will appear to others viewing the board that you have received a reply and so are already being helped, use the edit tab to include any additional information to your OP and you will then not be overlooked  :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

Not heard back from you Samnas510, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.