Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question on networking - who can see who?

• Please log in to reply

kingneil

kingneil

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My question is shown as an image:

q0OToJz.png

Main router => Tor computer will be a WiFi connection

Tor computer => My laptop will be a wired Ethernet connection. Laptop has no WiFi chip at all.

This is really a question about simply networking itself. Ignore the Tor concept altogether. 

I'm simply asking, can the main router see that the laptop is connected, or can it only see the device directly connected to it, i.e. the Tor router.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

it really depends on how you have things setup.

if the computer is setup to use internet sharing and is the dchp server for the laptop then no the router can't see it, but if the computer is just setup as a bridge or pass through and the router is the laptops dchp server then yes it can.

more info here :- http://www.windowsce...tion-windows-10

:popcorn:

kingneil

kingneil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Alright.

I came to the conclusion that this is all a waste of time.

A hacker (especially nation state) would hack your main home router.

Then hack your endpoint laptop.

Then they can see that both are connected to a dedicated Tor router in the middle, through its MAC address or other identifier, such as device name.

So they can see that both are connected to the same dedicated Tor router, and thus, they can see who you are that way.

So unless you are confident that you can secure your main home router, then this idea of a dedicated Tor router is hopeless.

You would be better off using a QUBES live disc and ONLY use Tor from the very start.

As the internal NSA Snowden documents say, "one page request" is all it takes to hack you.. but note, they can only do this page request if you are actually connecting via your real IP address.

Therefore, use a QUBES live disc, use TOR ONLY (never mix it up with clearnet), and make sure your BIOS is freshly installed, and then just cross your fingers and hope you don't get hacked while using Tor browser. By all means, use NoScript etc.