Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 USB install hangs at blue Windows logo (Resolved).

Best Answer GhostLoad , 18 September 2016 - 05:48 PM

I gave it one more try, using PLoP to make my computer boot from the USB in order to install Windows.  I got that blue Windows logo again (I assure you though haha, it is Windows 7 not 8 on th... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

So I'm trying to install a fresh copy of Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate Edition on my living room PC.  When doing so I decided to format my hard drive so I it'd be a completely fresh install.  For some reason (I'm guessing something is wrong with my Windows 7 disc) it freezes during the install.  So since I figured my disc is no good I used ImgBurn to put the .iso on a 64gb flash drive.  My mobo won't let me boot from USB directly, so using a disc with PLoP boot manager, I can make my living room PC boot from the USB drive.  Once I do so, I get the blue Windows logo screen, and it goes absolutely nowhere from there.  I can't figure out for the life of me why this is happening.

My motherboard is an ASUS P5N-D, but I don't remember the rest of my components at the moment.  When I get home I can open her up to see what all is in there.  Also, attached is an example of the logo screen I get hung up at.

Attached Thumbnails

• Win8RTM_10_Windows 8 Logo Screen.jpg

Edited by GhostLoad, 14 September 2016 - 05:19 PM.

Advertisements

rainyXP

rainyXP

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Hey!

Does the PC have Secure Boot? If so, is it disabled?

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Hey!

Does the PC have Secure Boot? If so, is it disabled?

I'm not sure, I've never heard of that feature before.  Would it be in my BIOS somewhere if it does?

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Still need help.  Please, anyone.  :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

If I may chime in while rainyXP is offline  :)

Your MB is socket 775 which pre dates the introduction of UEFI BIOS and secure boot etc so not the reason that you cannot boot from the USB thumb drive.

The picture in your OP looks more like Windows 8 than Windows 7.

Can I ask what boot options you have and what the boot sequence is set to in the BIOS.

Test your ISO using QEMU Simple Boot

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
✓  Best Answer

I gave it one more try, using PLoP to make my computer boot from the USB in order to install Windows.  I got that blue Windows logo again (I assure you though haha, it is Windows 7 not 8 on the flash drive) and decided to leave it alone and go to bed.  When I woke up in the morning the installation had continued to the next step.  I guess it was just taking it's sweet [bleep] time getting everything ready to install the OS?  Either way, it seems fine now.  I just have to get mobo drivers so I can connect to the internet etc and do all my Windows updates.

rainyXP

rainyXP

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hey!

Sorry I didn't get around to replying. Glad you could solve the issue!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Good news GhostLoad  :thumbsup:

Tip regarding the MB drivers, the chipset drivers need to be installed first so do that and then see if your other hardware such as the ethernet etc works ok, a lot of hardware gets along fine using Windows generic drivers with only the MBs chipset drivers tending to trip things up if they are not installed.

Once you have internet, be prepared for it to take a long time for Windows 7 to fully update, many hours in fact and again you may be best to leave it updating overnight.

Once fully updated, consider cloning your HDD so you don`t have to go through the whole rigmarole again in the future.  

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Yep phillpower2, I did the chipset drivers and that seems to be all it needed.  I am now prepared to let the PC run for quite a long time in order to figure out what Windows drivers it needs to update (a LOT, I'm guessing).  Maybe I'll time it and let you guys know how long it searched.....

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Hmm it's been "Checking for updates" for over 4 hours now......... this doesn't seem right.  :/

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

4hrs is nothing compared to what some people have reported it took them, if you already have SP1 you could try the Convenience rollup update 

Once fully updated, see tutorial provided courtesy of Essexboy here for creating a back up image.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Went ahead and left it all day & overnight (maybe about 20 hours) and it definitely updated while I was sleeping.  Wow, what a long time it took!  Haha

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Glad to hear that all is now well and thank you for the follow up  :thumbsup:

Have you taken a look at the Macrium Reflect info.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Not just yet.  There wasn't anything I wanted on my hard drive previous to installing Windows fresh.  I just wanted to start over clean.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

The idea of creating the back up image of your HDD is so that you would not need to go through 20hrs of updating etc in the future should your HDD fail or as you say you just wanted to start over clean again.