Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to retrieve product Key number

Best Answer DonnaB , 18 September 2016 - 07:02 AM

To prevent theft, the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) sticker was eliminated on Windows 8. When you reinstall the same version of Windows 8 or 8.1 on a PC that came with it, the product key will... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

JoPopey

JoPopey

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Help much appreciated got an issue reinstalling Windows and so need code! I bought computer with Windows 8 on it and then that was upgraded and sice then not sure when specifically it appears the product key is not activated so am having issues updating Windows.

Edited by JoPopey, 17 September 2016 - 01:10 PM.

Advertisements

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts

THe product key is on the pc case if it is legitimate

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Its definitely legit...its not on the case though...there is a sticker underneath but just says windows 8 and model number

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
✓  Best Answer
To prevent theft, the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) sticker was eliminated on Windows 8. When you reinstall the same version of Windows 8 or 8.1 on a PC that came with it, the product key will be automatically applied and activated. You won’t see any product key prompt — it will all happen automatically.On some laptops the product key can be found inside the battery compartment.

Here are some links that may help:

Four Places To Find Your Windows 8 Product Key

How to Find Product Key for Windows 8 or Windows 8.1

Otherwise, I have used both programs linked to below with success:

Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder

Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Fantastic did this and it worked 

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Excellent! :)

Just in case...

If you have not created the recovery media for your W8/8.1 on a USB stick, do so first thing when you get your copy of Windows activated. You will need a USB stick with at least 4 GB of free space for 32-bit Windows, or 8 GB for 64-bit Windows and use it for the recovery and that alone. I also find it a good practice to jot down the CoA and save it in a safe place.

The following link might be of help, if needed:

Create a Recovery Drive or System Repair Disc in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10

If you have questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Just created a recovery Backup on Samsung software as samsung computer it saves a current copy of the C Dive to an image on my external drive ...think that should suffice?  

What is the CoA?

Thanks

Edited by JoPopey, 18 September 2016 - 01:06 PM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Just created a recovery Backup on Samsung software as samsung computer it saves a current copy of the C Dive to an image on my external drive ...think that should suffice?

Yes and no. Beings the external is a mechanical device, it does have it's faults. You could also burn the image to disc if your PC/laptop has an optical drive (just in case the external fails at some point) < That happened to me once. :( I always make more than one backup for recovery out of habit. My son made the mistake not to do this and it cost him $200+ to have ASUS reload the hard drive for him after a nasty file infecting ransomeware travesty that also infected his external. I think he learned his lesson. :rolleyes:

What is the CoA?

Ooops! Sorry. The COA (Certificate Of Authenticity) is the little paper sticker with the product key on it found on previous versions of Windows. The product key is the string of 25 characters that you need to activate windows.

JoPopey

JoPopey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

well not sure if it has an optical drive...how can i tell? Sounds good two back ups...if i follow your link...will i use one of those options and save where?

Thanks

Edited by JoPopey, 18 September 2016 - 01:07 PM.